The Last Samurai! Any good?

Fiery Jack

I just saw Mr. Tom Cruise, minus his teeth braces, being interviewed on Japanese telly about this new slapstick comedy. He's a very sincere young man, isn't he. I wonder if he and the British comedian/quiz show host Mr. Bob Monkhouse are in any way related? ::

It sounds like an interesting flick, though, if Tom's very earnest and insightful commentary is to be believed. :rolleyes: Anybody seen it yet? It's probably shite. :clown:

jack :beer:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is total shiite Fiery, especially if you know Japanese history and culture like your honorable self.

Without giving the story away, can you imagine a rogue samurai personally advising the Emperor!?

:down:

OK, lets not be too hard on the guy. Short of the screen adaptation of Shogun, waaay back (80's ?), the Samurai culture has only been exploited by Hollywood in things like Kill Bill - hardly a glowing endorsement for the ideals of Bushido. Outside of the martial arts fraternity and a few old diehards, I'd have to question whether modern Japanese themselves care a great deal for this aspect of their history. Yes, I know that Kendo remains enormously popular, but it seems to have assumed the role of a sport, more than a traditional martial art and a lead-in to Iaido. I'd like to hear more from those of you currently living in Japan on this.

Compared to holiday drivel like Elf, the preview for Last Samurai seemed to point to a decent popcorn flick. I'd rather watch a Kurosawa festival, but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground in my neck of the woods. How many moms and dads could handle the realistic portrayal of a Samurai battlefield, complete with the family of the defeated lord slashing the throats of their offspring, lest they suffer the dishonour of falling into enemy hands. Tarantino has nothing on this guy.

I let you know on Sunday afrter we see it..

But..per Mrs WA..

"Why movie have gaijin with samarai..never happen! No idea about Japanese culture and history...stupid desho. But Watanbe ken-san is cutie!"

Archived