Don Muang to Pattaya

I will be arriving Don Maung on August 18,2001 @approx 11:00/am on Eva airlines. Going directly to Pattaya. Any members on the board arriving near this time and would like to share a taxi to Pattaya beach?? I usually

take Thai airways taxi service, its reliable and a relaxing trip after a 20 hour plane flight. If anyone is interested my e-mail is

Nglansth@yahoo.com

Nglansth null

Unable to share, but would like to inquire if you have a second, what is that route like?

I have always overnighted in Bangkok but my driver claims you bypass all the traffic when you take the expressway directly to/from Pattaya.

Is this correct? I have an 11AM departure and would rather stay in Pattaya if no traffic concerns, 2hour ride basically guaranteed??

thanks in advance and sorry to intrude on your thread, just would have looked so stupid me posting "Pattaya to Don Muang" right on top of Don Muang to Pattaya!

Nok

Hi!

I always go directly to the airport from Pattaya. The flights to Scandinavia nearly always depart around midnight so the traffic might be worse in the daytime. Basically you enter the toll way at Bang Na and and never have to cope with BKK traffic.

Two hours is a normal time. If I were you I would add an extra hour to be on the safe side.

regards

ALHOLK

Have you tried Thai Airway bus to Pattaya for 200 baht. It departs from the airport 3x a day to Pattaya. I believe the hours are 9am, 1pm and 5pm. You can double check at the Thai Airways counter for the current times.

You can also take the public air-con bus to Pattaya for 200 baht. I believe their hours are 8am, 12nn, and 7pm.

It takes 2 1/2+ hours to North Pattaya and the trip is quite pleasant. You can also take the same bus from Pattaya to the airport for the same price.

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: Traveler ]

Nok,

3 weeks ago I departed Don Muang at 11.50am. I allowed for 2 hours check-in, i.e. 09.50am.

I got Thai Limos from Pattaya at 07.15am and I specified the motorway. This is also sometimes referred to as the skyway. The expressway is the old route from Pattaya.

When we reached Bangkok and the end of the motorway we hit much traffic. This was 08.30am - 09.00am ish. I arrived at the airport at 09.35pm so all was well.

So what I am saying is allow say an extra 30 minutes in your calculations at this time of the morning.

Regards,

Ultra,

I always take a driver out of Pattaya to the airport and we did not always take the Bang Na - Trat Expreswway Road number 34).

I never really paid attention to this, but I think some drivers take road 7, Chonburi - Bangkok motorway, then road 9, Eastern Outer ring, followed by Thanon Ram Inthra which gets you on Viphawadi - Rangsit expressway to Dong Muag at Laksi Plaza intersection, hereby avoiding most of Bangkok traffic expressway problems between Sukhumvit and Bang Na and the tolls alltogether.

But I would not dare recommend one or the other, except paying for the toll parts just to be able to drive on.

Has anyone taken above mentionned route?

quote:

Originally posted by thalenoi:

I think some drivers take road 7, Chonburi - Bangkok motorway, then road 9, Eastern Outer ring, followed by Thanon Ram Inthra which gets you on Viphawadi - Rangsit expressway to Dong Muag at Laksi Plaza intersection, hereby avoiding most of Bangkok traffic expressway problems between Sukhumvit and Bang Na and the tolls alltogether.

Has anyone taken above mentionned route?

Yes Thalenoi,

I use that route all the time if I'm going to the airport to pick friends up. I find it much less hassle than driving the expressway through Bangkok which can become really slow at certain times of day.

I do South Pattaya to Airport in 2 hours 20 minutes. The taxi drivers seem to like the overhead motorway 'cos they can do 160-180 kms on it.

I certainly don't like it beacuse of that!! Visions of going out of control and flying over the edge flash through my mind.

I just wanted to give you a quick suggestion that could possibly save your life. If you absolutely must go to Pattaya via any taxi/limo, don't go to sleep during the ride to party town.

I used to rent a condo in Pattaya. I would return there several times a month. I have mentioned on previous posts about almost getting killed several times while taking a Thai Air Limo to Pattaya. As everybody that has ever been to Thailand knows, these people drive like crazed idiots. Add to that a taxi driver that has to work an extra long 24 hour shift without much sleep and that could spell disaster.

Several of my drivers ended up swerving off the road. On my last trip, one driver almost hit a tree going at a high rate of speed. I am not kidding!!! Keep an eye on your driver. If he starts nodding off, make him pull over and get a cup of coffee or something.

Nowadays, I stay over one night in Bangkok. Then if I am going to Pattaya, I'll just take a taxi/limo in the daytime; hence, drivers usually are more refreshed and less likely to fall asleep at the wheel.

I decided that the next time I go to Pattaya again and arrive late in the evening, I'll just take a air conditioned bus the next morning. It is cheaper, and maybe a little bit safer??? Anyone ever take an air conditioned bus ride to Pattaya? If so, how was it?

Californio

In my privious post about taking a taxi/limo to Pattaya, I was only talking about the added dangers of travelling via taxi/limo during the late night hours.

Californio

Cal,

agree wholeheartedly on your advice about the Thai limo drivers falling asleep while on the nightshift.

I've had (out of 4 trips) 3 of them trying to have a snooze while doing 100kph, fortunately I noticed them slowing down first rather than swerving off the road (thank God for long, wide, straight stretches)

After they copped a loud earfull from me they'd pull into the nearest servo for a drink of lipo and off we'd go again.

Archived