How Much is a Scooter?

I've had a desire for some time to buy one of those scooter/vespa type things because I can't get on with motorcycles.

I just need something to nip around the moobarn on and run all the stray dogs over. (the ones that hate me anyway)

I noticed a shop on Petchburi Rd selling laods of them all in pretty beaten up condition. However I'm not looking to be Sting from Quadrophenia.

Any ideas how much these things sell for second-hand?

Phil,

There's a website for a German Scooter club called The Morlocks (sp?) who have links with Bangkok Scooter Club who I believe toss around in KS Rd. I've seen a couple of old Lambrettas and Vespas down there although Vespas are more prolific. Tons of Vespas around Chinatown.

Dunno the price in BKK. Spoke to a Thai scooterboy in Ptty on an old shagged out Lambretta and it had cost him the baht equivalent of £700. So not so cheap for an old rustbucket. Now, in Vietnam you can get them much cheaper as I made enquiries in Hochiminhville a while back. I was quoted $600 US for a restored Lambretta SX150 from the sixties. The equivalent price in the UK would be in excess of £1500 for a decent restoration. The Viets also have lots of Vespa Sprints and GS bodied Vespa 50s. Nice looking bikes for Vespas.

Phil,

yeah you did say you weren't bothered about what you drove. Well really then there's no choice. You need a "Docker's Bike". A trusty Honda 90 Step thru, beloved of Pizza Delivery boys the world over.

And when you've done delivering your laundry you can strap your pigeon basket on the back. Great little mopeds. You can get them for fuck all. They used to give them away free with cornflakes packets. (watch someone question that now)

Phil,

I don't know if you would consider this, but when I was in BKK a few months ago, I saw these motorized scooters for sale in the MBK shopping centre. They are not really 'scooters' in the sense that a Vespa is a scooter, more like a child's scooter with an electric motor on it. They do have a seat, brakes, throttle control, etc.

I think they would do for short trips of 1 or 2 miles over relatively smooth, paved roads.

JG

Archived