Sport's Top Ten For 2003

Torneyboy

It doesn't say that these were the most significant sporting events, just the top stories, and I would say that the Beckham saga would have taken up more back pages than any other.

Good point, but even more than England's rugby success?

Problem is that this was a world poll, and however important these 'world championships' may be to you and your countrymen...

FYI, AP's 'world' poll excludes subscribers from North America, thus no mention of ANY American sports.

As for MY countrymen and 'world championships,' we tend to place importance on cricket, swimming, rugby and even football, when we can convince our stars in the Motherland to return home for minor events like World Cup qualifying.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

millions of Chinese watch Football in Europe because Chinese players are involved and that is where the money is.

perhaps if the Americans were to do what other countries do and allow other nationalities into their limited field of view things might be better.

You?ve never heard of Yao Ming? This Chinese giant is hero to a 1.3 billion at home and seems to have no trouble getting a game in the US.

Roppongi said:

Yeah, and at the time of my post I had yet to take the beer! :beer:

Nothing personal TB, good discussion thread for the holiday period.

What rips my four-by-fours is that too many off the field issues gain headlines. Why don't these 'polls' reflect sporting achievements rather than the latest hair style of some pretty boy?

Hi

No problems RO.

Off the field events sell newspapers i guess? :dunno:

never heard of him.

what sport does he play? and remember that many Major sports in America are not shown in the UK.

we have no interest in competitions where the Americans exclude others.

i occasionally watch Baseball at 05:00,when no-one but night workers are up and about.

and don't forget Europe allow the USA to take part in the Football World Cup,but the USA do not allow Europe to take part in their 'WORLD CUPS'.

nuff said.

never heard of him.

what sport does he play? and remember that many Major sports in America are not shown in the UK.

we have no interest in competitions where the Americans exclude others.

i occasionally watch Baseball at 05:00,when no-one but night workers are up and about.

and don't forget Europe allow the USA to take part in the Football World Cup,but the USA do not allow Europe to take part in their 'WORLD CUPS'.

Yao Ming plays basketball sayjann. You know that game they play on ice with skis and nets and trampolines and stuff? :grinyes:

Agree that the 'World Series' of baseball is not the most appropriately named event, but as for Americans excluding other nationalities from their sports you are way off the mark.

The NBA, (that's National Basketball Association), MLB (Major League Baseball), and PGA (Professional Golfers Association), to name but a few, attract the best players from around the globe. If you're good enough you can play, just like in your Premier League.

Archived