BKK Airport...

jingjoh

A friend arrived this week, on an American Airlines flight, and proceeded to immigration where he was interrogated, asked for his return ticket, his passport and 1 yr multiple entry visa scrutinized and then asked where he was going!?

A reply of Thailand sounded as stupid as the question.

After being subjected to all this including the immigration officer talking in Thai to a coworker at another desk and questioning his flight numbers due to the fact he had two, coming through Japan, which is a normal route that these officials have known about for how many years!!??, he proceeded to retrieve his baggage, walked through customs without a blink then was accosted by Thai police out in the waiting area of the airport wanting to look in his backpack and ask him questions about what he was carrying, his computer etc.

Is it just me or does this last bit sound like total idiocy, we all know the levels of security checks he would have went through in the US before being allowed to even board an AA flight would have been horrendous, to me this is just another display of the myopic thinking process of Thai officials, let them walk through customs then accost them in a public waiting area by local police!

As for security, how much security can we have? already the big brother syndrome worries many US friends, we are not immune in OZ and we dont like it either.

Xray checks, baggage checks, metal detector checks, these are all fine and I would guess cover 90% plus of any problems, but unfortunately in this world if you really want to do something, you will find a way, as we are if nothing else, inventive creatures!

"there are always two sides to the story"

Being dyslexic I am used to seeing the other side....

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: jingjoh ]

jingjoh,

"Xray checks, baggage checks, metal detector checks, these are all fine and I would guess cover 90% plus of any problems".

Unfortunally that's not good enough, as we have learnt recently.

That the Thai side is maybe not doing everything in the most logical way is for sure, but it gives me a good feeling that they aparently stepped up security.

Think of the bright side: The terroist who slippes into a foreign country is maximum prepared for all expected obstacles during his way, but would he expect to be heavily scrutinised after leaving the plane? No, so you must admit that this is another briliant move of the Thai security forces!

laugh.gif" border="0

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: think1stbkk ]

Sounds familiar, on my last trip to Bkk the Customs Service went through my bag with some zeal.. As I fly in on a UPS cargo jet, this is not "normal", but not un-heard of...

I have noticed an overall "stepped-up" level of security at all major Asia/Pacific Airports..

I recently was physically searched (pat-down) upon arrival at Kingsford International.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by jingjoh:

Is it just me or does this last bit sound like total idiocy, we all know the levels of security checks he would have went through in the US before being allowed to even board an AA flight would have been horrendous, to me this is just another display of the myopic thinking process of Thai officials

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: jingjoh ]

WAKE UP AMERICA !!!

Read this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1554000/1554241.stm

P.S AA don't fly into Thailand....

I was supprised to see AA to bkk also, when I use them, they put me on Cathay pacafic from lax.

I think bringing a computer or any high ( read valuable) item into thailand could cause you problems, if they wanted to, they would "confisticate" it.

Also, I've asked b4, has anyone had their stuff xrayed after you turn in ur customs forms on bkk airport?

It suppriesed me last time, had an imac laptop on one box, had to lie/bs a lot to get by.

UPser: I'm curious, what kind of food do you get on the company planes?

sounds like a neat way to go.

do you get to bkk often. ( hkt also?)

Archived