Touting the Touts

loner w/a boner

Touts. Annoying pests. We all love to hate 'em. But we'd gladly give up that indignation to not think of them at all. But there's no getting rid of them. There's no ignoring them. They're as prevelant as the putrid city fumes that seep into every pour of our body. There's no escape.

My negative encounters are few and mild in comparison to some, I'm told. So far my worst encounter was actually humourous, in an odd and curious sort of way. Was it I who committed the folly of first eye contact? I don't remember. But he got under my face with that old pamphlet for Cupid Massage. I told him "no". He followed. Crossing streets, passing bridges and passersby, he followed; getting under my nose with that pamphlet. He'd fall back, and just when I'd thought he'd finally given up, the same fellow would run up from behind and shove that "literature" right under my nose once again. Direct eye contact, a firm "NO!", a hardened face--nothing worked with this guy. Now I know why they have gun laws in Thailand. I wonder if Muey Thai is popular because the natives want to beat these guys up too, or because the touts all have to take the classes--in order to defend themselves. I've considered the "Bill Murray" approach. Stop. Look at him with eyes of desperation--and gratitude. Fall to the ground before him (picture a leper at the feet of Jesus). Wrap my arms around his knees, and plead--YES PLEAD: TAKE ME TO CUPID--TAKE ME TO CUPID! As he pulls back to escape, I dare not let go. With extended body, I cling to my life's blood--NO; my SOUL's very essence--that tout. Walking on my knees to keep close to him as he engages his escape manuevere.

Right from the start I noticed that the touts aren't the only ones selling. It's not just the girls as you stroll PAST :rolleyes:the beer bar. Putting their arms around you (as I put my hand on my wallet), luring you inside:nono:. It's more. It's the lady with the small booth who sells leather goods. The young men selling laser pens and tee-shirts, the old men soliciting for tuk tuk rides. It's everywhere. The most outrageous (and my favorite example) is the fellow on Sukhumvit near Sois 5/7. I do not know his story, but I'm sure many of you do. He's the one with the severed limbs. He lies flat on the sidewalk and with his good arm, extends forward his tin cup (or is it a wooden bowl?) as he slowly pulls himself forward, dragging his mangled torso and legs along the ground (all on a mat, underneath, if I recollect correctly). All as if he is in the act of trying to go somewhere, but laboring to make any progress. Then, after a short distance, he turns himself around, and repeats his sales presentation! YES, sales presentation. Sound callous and insensitive? It's not meant to be. Yes, this man is to be pitied--for the misfortune that happened to him. But let's not kid ourselves--he's not just a beggar; he's a salesman. More. He's a performer. What he does it pure theatre. I love it! Of course, the first time I saw him I was shocked. Then, after passing him a few more times, I got the message. Once, watching him locomote, I couldn't help but laugh out loud and clap. Upon seeing me, the toothless lady under the footbridge next to him couldn't resist. She laughted out loud too. She's not hood-winked. She sees him daily. She's in the know. I do not make light of this poor creature of God. I could and may be in his position some day. But he is using his skills of persuasion to maximize his revenue. He may have an interesting story to tell. Perhaps some of you have heard it from his lips? I have yet to rightly pay him his due, but I have donated to others. But I do feel compelled to contribute to this one.

This entire culture seems to posses at least two qualities that my CoO (Country of Origin) is big on advertising, but ashamed to practice. They're hustle and salesmanship. Ironic that in the good 'ol U$ of A, the most wealthy and productive country in the world, it seems it's all about money and "sell sell sell!". But it's not. It's about the freedom they hope the money brings. By stark contrast I can now see that my homeland has truly lost the edge in "get up and go". We're so successful that a crucial percentage of the workforce has quit trying to truly better themselves and get ahead. It's the curse of success. Hard work and smart thinking brings success. Enjoying that success leads to an appreciation of leasure and more recreation. Which in turn, for that "crucial percentage" I referred to, does not lead back to hard work. Rather, it leads to ambivilence and idelness--the death nail of progress.

I'm all for maximizing efficiency through technological advancement. I have no problem employing robotics to increase productivity. But we're not desperate to improve. We're not hungry for it--not to advance, and not to hold on to what our parents gave us. The Thais have a longer way to go. They're poorer; just as we once were. And they so want to be prosperous. I truly hope they make it. Warlords, famine, pestilence--they've seen it all. I can guess how insects "crept" into their culinary repitoire.

I think it's only natural. We in the west have so many tools at our disposal and so many distractions that our creativity is neglected by comparison. Find yourself in the desert with nothing but a few drops of water, a compass, and your jock strap, and see how much creativity you will be drawing upon. Contrast that with a DVD player, your remote control, and pizza delivery--what's to be desperate about? Life is good--enjoy.:dunno:

I am still unfamiliar with this culture. From what I hear, Thais don't save their money, and they are so concerned with image, that they use a lot of consumer credit. I hope this isn't true. I hope they use a clearly focused mind to see the way out of their past and lift their people into a more prosperious world. I'd like to believe that if you took one of these "hustling" Thais and dropped them onto a street in the USA to fend for themselves, after they learned the ropes and social taboos, they'd do quite well. I'd hate to think that their energy is mindless and that the moment they tasted success it would result in their abusing it to excess. I hope I'm not wrong.

Yeah, I still want to have a new farang holiday here in Thailand--"Beat the Tout Day".:grinyes: But if the Thai people can just focus all that energy and not over-consume too early, perhaps they'll get what they say they want. If that happens, my U$ dollar will be worth less here. But it would be worth it.

Sorry, please forget my post. I was probably brain-dead or drunk :drunk:. I tried to delete it, but it seems it is too late ("This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired ").

Peter1964 said:

Sorry, please forget my post. I was probably brain-dead or drunk :drunk:. I tried to delete it, but it seems it is too late ("This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired ").

No prob. You have a point. It is a culture thing and could have gone under other threads. I just wrote it as a brief essay, so stuck it under Board Bar. Hope things are going well. Will you be at Gulliver's this Fri night?

OCgringo said:

well if it wasn't so damn hot ......

you could wear a long jacket and when the tout tried to sell you something ,

you could try and sell him a watch ! (or a DVD)

That reminds me. Years back, while in a New York airport, a bunch of guys were standing some feet back from the payphones. As people would dial in their dialing card numbers, these guys would jut-out their necks to get a glimpse. Then, as others would approach, they'd try to sell them the calling card numbers.

Also, when getting into a taxi my first week in BKK, the driver seemed really nice. In addition to paying my fare, I wanted to give him a souviner--a U$ one dollar bill. Not speaking Thai, I tried to explain that it was worth 40b. He refused to accept it. It occured to me that he thought I was trying trying to pay for the fare in U$ currency--trying to "sell" him, as it were, my "funny money".

>> Will you be at Gulliver's this Fri night? <<

I am not sure. I have a flight back jan., 9th but I think about staying here for longer (probably one or two more months). And when I stay here for longer, I also have to go for a visa-run jan., 9th. So, chances are pretty slim. But I am definitely thinking about a prolongation.

Archived