Ah, redundancy ....

gobbledonk

Thanks, guys - all great feedback.

The problem that I face is, no doubt, a common one. I have a mortgage to service, relocation would mean selling the house (finding genuinely good tenants isnt easy, and my last experience was a bad one) and I dont relish the prospect of having to sell off my furniture and whitegoods if I did go OS.

Basically, after going through the whole wrench of relocating to a new town less than 12 months ago, I'm not anxious to repeat the dose. It may be inevitable, and it may just be that I can ride this out without bailing. I will keep my eye on the job boards while dusting off my resume, but I dont want to jump before the pushing actually starts. For al its faults, this is a pretty cushy gig, and reasonable money for the region. Back in Brissie, employers are looking for some pretty spectacular skillsets (complete with several years experience in each area) and offering $40K pa ! Supply and demand - we didnt know how good we had it in '98.

I know how it feels arty. last may i was told that my position was being made redundant BUT because i was such a good guy they had a more senior position for me. The catch was that i would lose all my long service leave that i was within 6 months of picking up as well as all my years of service for retrenchment purposes AND a 30% cut in pay.

After 5 weeks of negotiations i told them to stick it up thier arse and retrench me. It took them untill xmas to conceed that my job was never really in doubt. BUT it was 7 very stressful months. Every case is different but In my case it payed to stick to my guns

The catch was that i would lose all my long service leave that i was within 6 months of picking up as well as all my years of service for retrenchment purposes AND a 30% cut in pay.

Well done for hanging in there - I know my initial urge is simply to walk, based on the shit that went down with my former employer. As far as your LSL etc, I'm not sure that they can legally do that : its amazing what companies will try on when they think they have you at gunpoint.

These are the same people who were bleating about the so-called 'skills shortage' right up till 2000 : anyone who started a degree in 2000 would now be faced with the bleakest graduate careers outlook in 12 years. The really annoying thing about the increase in employment growth in Oz over the past 2 years is that a lot of it is in short-term and casual jobs, largely in areas like hospitality. Shit money, crap hours and no career prospects - the Trifecta.

Apologies to all for my negativity - I just have to get through the next month or so, whatever the outcome, and I should rebound to my naturally smiling self ::

Archived