XP - Share Internet Connection via WiFI

BaronTT

I have an ADSL router (modem) to my main PC and use it for my internet access. I want to share that with a PC in another room. So I installed USR WiFi cards in both machines, installed the USR Software. Set it up as "Ad-hoc". (I did not go the Wireless Access Point configuration for various reasons.)

After a lot of work on my part, the Client machine can now see that it's on a wireless network. But I don't have internet access. I also haven't been able to share files, but I didn't spend much time on setting that up.

What is the best source of "How to" instructions, from start to finish. For example, in the IE settings on the client, I assume I have to set it up for LAN access, but then what do I use for an IP address? The IP address of my ADSL router? The IP address of the "Server" PC? Dynamic? This is just one of the many questions.

I'm using XP Pro on both machines.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Yes, but it was through trial and error and the connection is not as stable as I'd like.

More often than not, when the client machine boots up, it can't "see" the host's adapter. It sees no signal. I then have to reapply the security settings a few times and then it connects. It might do the same if I hit rescan instead of apllying the security settings.

That's one problem.

The other problem is that the client hangs frequently. Totally hangs. Can't even Alt-Ctl-Delete.

I'm using the US robotics software that came with the adapter instead of the Standard XP software, which I think complicates things a bit. But USR suggests using thier SW so that I can gain advantage of the adapters' special features. (for example, 54 mbps up to 100 mbps, instead of the usual 22 for 801g.)

Archived