Tuk - Tuk fare changes

On occasion I use a tuk-tuk instead of a taxi. Not frequently, though often enough to have a good idea of fares.

It was expected to bargain from the 100 baht quoted fare down to the 50 odd baht fair fare.

Over the last few weeks I have taken 4 or 5 tuk-tuks. Each one has given a fare so low that I haven't even bothered bantering.

For example, from Saphan Taxin to Ratchaparop Rd. Expected to pay 80 baht after some haggling. First price quoted = 60 baht !!! grand palace to Baiyoike Tower = 60 baht.

Motorbike taxi fares don't seem to have altered. One suggestion was that buses now have English signs and therefore will draw on the tuk-tuks business but this doesn't seem overly likely to me.

Has anyone any clue as to the changes ands the lack of attempted rip-offs ? all for the best, I am just curious.

There's zillions of empty tuk-tuks going around. Hopefully, their drivers have realised that it doesn't make sense to try to charge more than a taxi would cost - I'm not entirely convinced, though, that all of them have seen the light.

The above prices you quote are just slightly less than a taxi would have cost: Saphan Taksin to Ratprarob Rd. (Pratunam) 65-71 Baht, Grand Palace to Pratunam 77-85 Baht. I personally wouldn't even take a tuk-tuk if they cost half - why put up with all that pollution and grime??

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

sometimes it is a case of what comes along first. Also late at night when there is little traffic the pollution doesn't bother me, equally if I am coming home after being out drinking etc then I just want to get home.

During the day I opt for taxi action every time , the AC is worth the price of admission alone! But after a night out I love to get in a TUK Tuk , risk my life , go fast , get home quick , talk to someone else insane ( the driver ) . When you are on the drink it is amazing how often a Tuk Tuk seems like a good idea to me . Only for short distances though . I was staying in Bang Khen last time in LOS & it never even passed my mind to get a Tuk , you could'nt find 1 that far out anyway ( well I'm sure you could if you tried though ).

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: zoot ]

quote:

I personally wouldn't even take a tuk-tuk if they cost half - why put up with all that pollution and grime??

Scum,

You're forgetting the fun! You can ride in a taxi in any city in the world, but where can you have the sheer thrills of a tuk-tuk?

I enjoy them when it's not raining. No broken-meter hassles. Like riding a motorcycle but you don't have to do the work.

PhordPhan

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

I don't know about the fare changes and I, myself, would usually take a taxi, if given a choice, since it always seems to be cheaper and more comfortable. However, my wife, who is Thai, is a big tuk tuk fan. One of her greatest pleasures in life is to get a tuk tuk driver to agree to drive us somewhere, anywhere, for 30 B, thereby saving 5 B off the first drop of the taxi meter. You be surprised how often she can do just that. I have often slipped a tuk tuk driver an extra 10 or 20 Baht just because I felt sorry for the poor guy after an exceptionally long ride. smile.gif" border="0

Tuk tuks are also great for hauling multiple cartons and supplies. It is just unbelieveable how much stuff can be packed into and tied off of the fold down rack on the back of a tuk tuk. Much more than you could fit into a taxi. shocked.gif" border="0

I understand that tuk tuks are being phased out. I think I read somewhere that new ones are not being licensed or something like that. I will be sorry to see them go. frown.gif" border="0

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: CondomKing ]

Archived