Favorite Beers & Ales - Not just Thai

Brink15

I was just sitting here sipping this really unique ale when the thought occured that I haven't seen a good beer thread in a while. And since beer is on my top ten list of necessities for an enjoyable life I thought I'd start a new one.

Scottish Ales are some of my favorites, particularly Belhaven. My local store has been out of it for weeks now so I decided to try something new, Kelpie Seaweed Ale from Scotland. As the story on the back of the bottle goes "prior to the 1850's there were many Scottish coastal alehouses which brewed ale made with local malted barley that had been fertilised with seaweed giving them a unique taste." As this is not done any more they now add a little of this seaweed to the brewing process.

Sounds strange but it tastes really good. Very smokey, almost choclatey flavor. Next I'm going to try Grotten Brown, a cave aged Belgium brown ale.

So what are your favorites and why?

Hi Brink,

That should be grotten bruin than (cave brown).

My fave is a beer close to were I origin, Alfa from Schinnen, Limburg, Holland. Excellent beer. Brewed according to German Reinheitsgebot standards.

My home town beer, Leeuw beer is good as well (had to get that one in) since it was the first beer I ever drank.

One of my all time faves is the real Budweiser from Budvar, not that American piss. The taste is outstanding, very smooth.

Other faves are Duvel (Belgium) cause it's nice and strong, Warsteiner (Germany) for it's good hearty taste, Guiness (Eire) one of the best tastes around and gets you pretty hammered, Red Stripe (Jamaica) good taste as well.

:beer:

well, the Grotten Bruin, as you say (although written as Grotten Brown on the label), was just OK. I really prefer Scottish ales. Must be the MacDonald in me.

Duvel I do like as well, though.

Haven't had the pleasure of Budvar, although I have had the distinct misfortune to have sampled Budweiser and several other piss tasting US beers. Don't really like lagers to begin with.

Give me a nice hearty ale, porter, bock, or stout anytime. :beer:

I like Sapporo for some reason when it comes to Asian beers. Luckily I can get them quiet easily over here.

I layed over in Narita once and went to one of those restaurants and pointed my meal out and said bee-aah. I don't know what they bought me but it was a right tasty mug...

At the end of the day though, Sam Adams is always a good choice...

Oneye

Guest lazyphil

<<One of my all time faves is the real Budweiser from Budvar, not that American piss>>

I've tasted worse than Budweiser--Carlsberg springs to mind as one :p--A mate and me were touring and stumbled into a micro brewery called the Lost Coast Brewery in Northern California (the real north up round Oregon not the SF area!) the beer was damn good :drunk:--had great local beer called Alsfelder (I think?) when I was staying at a German gf (plutonic :() home in this small town called Alsfeld--empty bottles were taken back to the brewery to be refilled (is this normal in Germany?) Greene King IPA is one of my favorites--the pub where the mrs cooks serves it--nothing quite like drinking a smooth pint watching a woman toil over a hot wok :cover: :cover:

Brink15 said:

Kelpie Seaweed Ale from Scotland. As the story on the back of the bottle goes "prior to the 1850's there were many Scottish coastal alehouses which brewed ale made with local malted barley that had been fertilised with seaweed giving them a unique taste." As this is not done any more they now add a little of this seaweed to the brewing process.

Did you know?....In Scotish folklore a Kelpie is a mythical water spirit that appears in the form of a horse that entices riders and then drowns them. :beer:

I love beer :beer:but since starting the low carb craze I had to stop for a while, but now I am starting to try the new low carb beers, and the results are mixed, some are drinkable, the rest belong in the sewer.

Bound to get better, hope I have the intestinal fortitude to wait.

Archived