travelling to vietnam

allatsea2000

hey folks, going to vietnam from obviously bangkok, staying about a week. Was actually thinking of maybe bussing it vietnam, then flight back. does anybody know the costs involved. is it safe, how do i go about it. I can actually get a fair for $1033aussie dollars, which will fly me from brisbane to bangkok, then to vietnam then bangkok and home, just doing some maths like to save a dollar here and their for the fun stuff. Plus i thought if i took the bus one way we would see a bit more. how long does it take.

thanks for the info guys

graham

I've done overland from Saigon to Phnom Penh before, takes the best part of a day, the roads in Cambodia are dire. Fun trip though. You can also overland from BKK to Phnom Penh, once again takes about a day. I'll try to find the details of it or go to Google.com and do a search for Overland Cambodia, there are lots of sites so you should get more than sufficient details from there.

My advice is spend as much time in vietnam as possible. Fly both ways and spend that extra time driving around. If you want to see both saigon and hanoi w/o flying between them, you will need more than a week to do it properly. If you are limited to one week, then pick between either the north or the south and concentrate your energies on that region. Return to see the other at another time.

Enjoy!

Respectfully,

cardinalblue

Fly into Ho'ville from BKK. Vietnam Airlines are pretty modern flying Airbus aeros. Nice trolley dollies in ao dais. Ton Son Nhut is a fairly cheap taxi ride from the centre of where all the Westerners hang out on De Tham, Pham Ngu Lao Streets near to the Reunification Palace/central touristy areas.

If you've only got 8 days then go for the south rather than Hanoi as they're a lot more "open" down south. If you're looking for sanuk then Hanoi has opportunities for sure but it's hard to find.

I'd take a trip over to Vung Tau for a day or so. Reasonable sandy beach especially if you head north out of town. Not a great deal to do admittedly but down near to where the Hydrofoil drops you off if you head to the left then there are/were a couple of interesting bars. One, La Violet, had a couple of taxi girls there. There're also a couple of brothels where any cyclo driver worth his salt will take you.

After a day or so in kicking Vung Tau (that was sarcasm by the way) then back to Hoville and take a 4 day tour of the Delta. Out to Mytho, Cantho, Sam Mountain by the Cambo border. The folks in the Mekong are really friendly. Again the nightlife is fairly dire if you're used to the bright lights of BKK and Ptty. And yeah, sit in the right bar and let it be known you like Vietnamese laydeez when the local cyclo driver asks you and you will find the proverbial crock of gold.

Back to Hoville for the wind down and sightseeing. Maybe go up to the streets around about Bob & Hien's Place and Apocalypse for karaoke bars, discos etc.

Archived