A SOI COWBOY /NANA Question

keith doug

Have I lost the plot and please dont end this thread..its a serious question..

Why is patpong classed as a Entertainment Zone and nana and soi cowboy not.OR !! have i got it confused and they are!!

The entire thing is dam confusing.. I mean will anyone go to soicowboy when patpong is open till 2am ..

I will have to rack my brain on this one ,,

and what will happen to Termaie... i mean its empty now!! They are really being hit hard and hate to think what will happen to there business now....

No confusion Keith.

Patpong was designated an entertainment zone by the gov't when it enacted the "Entertainment Zone" legislation years back. NEP and Soi C'Boy were not. A gov't zoning decision.

The only other designated 'zone' I am aware of is Pattaya. Chiang Mai did not get a designation, nor did Phuket nor elsewhere.

Vested interests by those in charge of zoning????? Who knows ?? :)

Some confusion left though as this is a national policy and 4 provinces, including the PMs in the north have yet to get any designation, so may at least for the time being avoid the enforcement of this legislation.

and yup Thermae, and similar will now shut their doors at midnight.... unless they become Jok parlours :neener:

Strikes me as kind of funny how zones were decided upon long ago, when deciding what rules would apply inside and outside the zones only much later. Let's hope that in Chiang Mai, knowing what the zones are going to be used for, they can have the sense to make LOTS of zones or some really big ones. (Given how spread out the pubs are in Chiang Mai).

Zoning in itself isn't bad as right now you get that some of the biggest pub/club districts are right in residential areas. (In Chiang Mai for example Nimmanhaemin Rd and Chiang Mai Land Rd. These areas are also about as far apart as you can get while remaining within the city district. :) And there's plenty of space around Nimmanhaemin, though it's also a Royal route to the Winter Palace AND it's right next to the university on one side and a higher class residential area on the other. :)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Everybody bitches about zoning, but many of these places have changed hands after the zoning went into effect. What the new owners should have done was to check the zoning before buying.

Yeah the ChiangMai zoning will be interesting to see. The MoonMuang/LoiKroh area where the old action was centered is also on the Royal route to the winter palace and I've seen it closed for a short time on no notice on many occasions. Doubt they want to have it glaring in Neon. :dunno:

Was told last year that there would not be an 'Entertainment Zone' for CM but the latest I read is that there are 4 provinces that have not applied yet Including CM

These new laws, approved by the Cabinet will be enforced as of March 1st except in Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Samut Prakan and Uttaradit, where zones have yet to be established.

A cynic may say that the zoning had a lot to do with where the Farang bar owners were. Even more of a cynic may say that the calculation used by the government was that they considered tax payments from said bar owners and in all liklihood they were negligable, there was no need to zone it as seemingly nobody goes there anyway ::

But of course, the Patpong bar owners will be submitting truly accurate tax payments of course :rolleyes:

I for one think it may have the effect of clearing the streets of Sukhumvit late at night even though I am sure a lot of people will not agree with me - as I think many people will end up in Patpong or one of the other zoned areas.

Also, I assume that RCA is outside of the zoned area which will also pee off a number of Thai bar owners trying to clean up their act.

Having said that seems Big Andy of Electric Blue made the right decision in buying that GOGO bar in Patpong - sounds like he is going to be a big beneficiary of this whole thing.

Oh, nearly fogot - Termae or Thermai or whatever looks to be history. Also will be interesting to see what the big hotels are going to do. I recall someone telling me that the Hyatt madea fortune out of Spasso and I guess the same can be said of the Novotel CM2 and Conrad etc etc.

Cheers

Hi all,

We've had 7 threads opened within the last 2 days about the "New Zoning/Early Closure" issue. As the 2 that are left open have somewhat confusing titles, I thought it best to create a new thread with a clear title, and where all should be posted about this subject.

Sorry for any inconvenience, but will make things easier for everyone, in the long run, as this is bound to be a hot topic for a while, and will provide a one-stop-shopping place for all incoming related topical information.

Please refer to "New Zoning/Early Closure Thread" for any new postings and/or discussion. Thanks.

HT

Archived