7 Days To Leave The Country...?

My Cow Jai

Hi there,

For the past two and a half years, I have managed to keep perfect visas and permits. Sadly, and ironically, my work permit was cancelled on Friday 13th February.

My Non-Imm B visa is good up until 10 October 2004. My basic question is: ?do I have to leave the country within 7 days to get a new visa?? Many people seem to think so, others think not. Even immigration lawyers seem to be unclear on this issue, potential loopholes, and say different things.

To make matters more confusing, I am in the process of setting up a company, which will issue me with a work permit. This will take 3 weeks as from Monday 16 Feb (finished 5-10 March). Does the filing for company creation change anything from a legal point of view?

In the Warning Section in the back of Thai work permits it states: ?In case where an alien resigns from the work which is specified in the permit, he shall return the permit to the Registrar of Changwat (province) where the place of work is located within 7 days from the date of his resignation. Any violation shall be liable to fine not exceeding 1000 Baht.?

It says nothing about a visa that is linked to the permit.

# What will my legal status be if I do not leave the country and change my visa within 7 days? Also, do you know WHERE in Thai law this is stated.

# If I am caught by the police in the time after the 7 days, but before the new work permit is issued, what will happen? Deportation? Also, if so, will I be able to come back in if I have a deportation on my record?

#Finally, any advice?

Also, if answers be provided, could you please reveal your sources (such as Govt of Thai websites, immigration lawyers sites etc etc).

Many Thanks,

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is sttictly my view so..........

Your work permit is tied to your visa.

AFAIK your visa is NOT tied to your work permit.... so if your Visa is good until Oct then you are ..... you just can't work.

Advice ............ fo to Imm dept and ask them straight out. Worst is that you will have to leave country to get a new visa... although I fail to see why.

Should you have to do this, get all your paperwork together for your new company, invitation letter etc, etc and head to Penang to get new Imm B Visa.

BTW, if you have any problems sith any of this PM me and I'll give you a name of someone that may be able to put you on the right track.

You are probably fine, so relax just a little. :beer:

PS, we are presuming that your work permit was cancelled by losing your work, not something else ???

Hi,

I'm aiming for a way to bridge both my non-imm b visa and work permit until the documents arrive.

If I can make it until October 11th with the correct documentation, I can begin to file for residency :). If I lose it for just one day, I have to start the whole 3-year process all over again :(

Yes, LHL, lost my job -- unemployed in rural Thailand... ::

I'm sure an answer will present itself, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I understand it, which is not that well because even immigration "experts" have told me different things, I need both for an uniterrupted 3 year period to qualify.

The main thing is not to take the wrong advice and stay here on a overstay, which would count against me. But, I don't want to come in on a tourist visa either as I'll burn the 2.5 years of qualification!!!

Need some one who knows the residency stuff well, I know FlyW does and I think Orandanodes, a couple of others ..... come on guys pipe up here :grin

Maybe the run for a new "B" and work premit wouldn't count against you .... what if you went on holidays out side the country ?????

If he is claiming time for PR he does not currently have a valid visa; but is on the 2nd year of visa extensions of stay and these are based on his work permit and loss of work permit would mean loss of visa extension AFAIK.

Not what he wants to hear and I don't consider myself an expert but he can easily ask immigration for final word.

Any break will require a restart in PR counting by the current policy.

yes by law it is your responsibility to cancel your work permit and visa within 7+7 days

Cancel WP first and get the recipt for it as you will need it for your next one. I have known 2 guys who were fined 6000-10000B for not doing this ( think 100B per day) Then you have an addition 7 days to leave the country.

You may get away with it. But if you plan to continue to work in thailand I would most certainly cancel everything. It will make life alot easier in the future

Archived