South Thailand

To date, seperatist actions have not been specifically targeted against tourists. Therefore you are not at substantially greater risk than the locals.

To date, I'm not aware of any kidnap-for-ransom schemes as have characterized the seperatist movements in the Philippines. Most attacks have been against government infrastructure and personnel.

The rebels [been rebels since I don't know when] are seeking an quasi-autonomous Islamic political entity, but apparently are well advised and have scaled back their activities since the events of 11 September.

With this in mind, you may want to take advantage of the lull and travel immediately to Southern Thailand as things may heat up again after Osama bin Laden and the Taliban are terminated.

I didn't get a chance to go to far south but I was in Puket and Krabi. Puket is so touristed there is no problem with safety. But it will cost you in the form of tourist prices. But getting off the beaten path was great, and the people where very friendly.

I also spent some time in Krabi. I have to say one of the highlights of my trip. I ended up staying longer, and I should have stayed even longer. It is a small town with easy access to some of the most beautiful parts of Thailand. As far as safe, well I have to say some of the friendliest people I met. I got lost one day on my scooter. I was in this small town about 50 kilos from Krabi. There where a fair number of muslims around. I was lost, and I was trying my best Thai. to figure out where I was. There was one couple there that where very orthodox. She was covered from head to toe with just a bit of a slit to see through. And her husband and her where all part of the crowd that had gathered around the tall farlang. Everyone was having a jolly hoot. Me putting on a very amusing show in terms of my Thai. So I think that for the most part I felt much safer there than around the drunken sailors in Patong the week before. So keep it in persective and stop watching CNN right now. LOL

Archived