Water Days this year BKK and Pattaya

Songkran is the old solar New Year, which by law has long been a government holiday from 13 through 15 April. All government offices will be closed nationwide.

However, Pattaya "changes" the calendar to allow the girls to go home for the real holiday. Expect Pattaya to be douching folks a few days after the real Songkran. (Khao Sarn Road starts early, for no known reason ... except that KSR is strange.)

http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/special_event/songkran/

Songkran water throwing is really a northern tradition that only reached the rest of the country in the early to mid 20th century. And the folks up north do tend to go a bit overboard on it! Kids may be throwing water at people a week BEFORE Songkran and may for a couple of weeks AFTER it. It can get a bit irritating up north at that time of year ...

:cussing:

Not sure of exact dates. Mid April sometime. But be warned if you?re Pattaya bound. Whatever the dates for Songkran, it lasts 10 days in Pattaya, where it is ? celebrated? it for 4 days either side Bangkok?s days. I and several other expat friends leave Pattaya for Songkran. It?s total madness here that you either love or hate. Many of the farangs are the worst offenders putting iceblocks and nam prik into buckets of water then throwing them at motorcyclists. Injuries and deaths every year. It is pointless going outside in anything other than old shorts and T shirts.

One or two days I would love, but 10 days gets a bit tedious.

However, Pattaya "changes" the calendar to allow the girls to go home for the real holiday.

------------------------------------------

If you have an official souce for that, I will bow, but the whole of the Chonburi Province has "delayed" Songkran. I even read last year, that the further from BKK, the further the date

I think Chonburi had the 17th for Songkarn, not sure really, but Pattaya has always been the 19th, and the festival usually kicks in the 12th, so that all dates are included in the festive period.

Last, IMO, and IME, girls go home when they go home, usually when they have money to spread around. Special "must go home" dates, they are not super hung about concerning them. Ther bottom line being that such trip is to be planned, scheduled ahead, ie. tomorrow. "tomorrow" hardly exists in many thai psyches. Yep, they go when they go.... ::

Quite simply, the government says Songkran is 13 to 15 April. Been that way since 1941. Anything other than that has to be unofficial ... call it what they may. All civil servants have the 3 days off, and if one of the days falls on a weekend they get a "substitute" day added on. Any summer classes also are cancelled.

But this is Thailand. I've been told by BGs that they go home for the official holiday. Didn't ask if the bar owners had anything to say about it though.

:dunno:

p.s. I don't think they even celebrated Songkran in the far south in the 1970s, when I came as a Peace Corps volunteer. They do all the way down to Hatyai now though.

Archived