Thais and Politics ?

dsab

I always was under the assumption Thais don`t care much about politics. But yesterday evening we (wife and me) were invited for dinner by some friends and colle. of her.

All of them respectable Thais from good backgrounds. The only thing they talked all evening about was politics. They really got heated up, even more then you can see it in pre-election times in the west. There was one subject, and that got discussed for hours, till we left.

So, do thais care about politics more then we think?

P.S. I won`t mention which special part of politics got them enraged this much. It weren`t the Closing Hours, but the PM didn`t get away to well.

Hi,

"So, do thais care about politics more then we think? "

Maybe. ::

My circle of friends talk about politics everytime we hang out together. Some friends even organise a party on the poll night to cheer their political party when the results of each election zones come out and analyse the results! :D

The nation had a poll last week stating Thaksin's popularity is pretty strong everywhere except the south (26%). Especially strong in the north (67%) and central (62%); in Bangkok (50%) and Isaan (53%) summing up to ~51% for the whole of Thailand. The democrats just got ~19% and ~30% gave 'no comment'.

This shows there is no change to be expected from the next general election. And it also disproves the myth that he does not have much support in Bangkok.

Of course you are right that the poor and uneducated are easier to fool as they don't have access to international or English press. But there are still many educated Thais supporting him.

Actually the only thing that annoys me more then Thaksin and his policies are educated Thais supporting him by saying he is good coz he is rich and a guy who decides fast, not a laggard like Chuan. And there a quite number of them. On our company trip we made a poll. And Thaksin got over 40% (total of 50 voters) despite all my colleagues are well educated Thai Chinese and the 4 farangs all voted democrats.

Quote:

"Of course you are right that the poor and uneducated are easier to fool as they don't have access to international or English press. But there are still many educated Thais supporting him."

What would you have done better if you were prime minister?

I have seen him up close (about 3 feet away). I feel he has the interest of the country in his heart. As some countries now lean toward a recession, he has been able to still hold Thailand in a growth pattern.

Some falangs do not like him because of the social issues, but people should have seen these changes coming.

As a last point, in falang land, I believe at one time or another, every falang land allowed 24 hour drinking, 24 hour bars, prostitution, drugs, smoking, etc. but each area fell under the control of the government for one reason or another. Can we not expect what has happened in falang lands to happen in Thailand? Same, same.

>>>What would you have done better if you were prime minister? <<<

for a starter - not ordering the brutal murder of more than 4000 people

:onfire:

"Some falangs do not like him because of the social issues"

This does seem to be how Taksin is judged on this board, regardless of what good he may or may not have done for Thailand in other areas.

Hi guys,

can you return to dsabs original question - "So, do thais care about politics more then we think?" - and leave Thaksin and actual politics outside?

Remember the "no politics"!

elef

It?s not the question what I could or would have made better, it is more the question what the PM could have done better.

Unfortunately I can?t go into details as I suppose that the ?no-politics? rule still applies. But believe me my comment didn?t concern the implementing of the social order policies. Latter are more or less insignificant for the further development of Thailand, but nicely show how unprofessional this administration works. If other policies are as well thought through, I can only say good night Thailand. I and many other foreigners as well as some Thais are thinking that Thailand?s current boom is based on very weak fundament. It?s like an economical gamble. Thaksin might succeed with his policies, but what will be if he fails? Unforeseen events (e.g. chicken flue, SARS, Riots in the South, a rising Baht?) can easily let the bubble blow as he doomed to achieve the predicted 8 to 10% GDP growth in order to succeed. The ones, who are living here for years surely remember well when the bubble busted in 1997. This is a big gamble and no president has the right to gamble with the future of a Nation. Next to this economical Damocles sword, corruption is prospering like never before (Asia Airline, rising bribes for government projects?), the PM proved his lack of any diplomatic skills more then once (EGAT, problems in the South ?) and Thaksin?s threatening of the freedom of individuals as well the democracy (intimidating the free press ?) have reached alarming levels. Or can you imagine of any PM of a democratic country publicly saying: ?Democracy is not my goal? without having to retreat the next day?

Archived