Bus to Surin

Cyborg

Cyborg: Some answers to your questions.

"As for my Thai, it`s simply not there.... But I manged a week in Buri Ram with a phrase book and a smile so I`m hoping that will be good this time also."

Bring your phrase book and continue your adventures Cy. The people in Surin are very friendly usually. You should have no problems. The city is very safe at night.

"I was wondering about one thing though, Is there a Thai-style disco in Surin?"

Actually yes. There is a disco right around the corner from the Thong Tarin Hotel. And a couple more disc/rocknroll places on the same soi next to the hotel. I can't remember the name of it right now. Long Gun! What was the name of the place? If you stand at the steps in front of the hotel, fwith the hotel to your back there is a street to the right of the hotel. Just walk to the main street down the driveway from the hotel and take a right. Take your next right along the street and there is the soi you want.On the corner is the disco. Furhter down on your left on this soi is a couple of bars with music. This soi also has the gogo bar all the way down on the left. It's on the second floor. At one time it was called something like the Rock Hard or something similar. Now I think it's in Thai. I'll ask a couple friends who went there with me recently if they remember the name. Also on this same soi, about half way down on the left is a nice little indoor restaurant that has very good food, good farang food too.

"Just love thoose Thai discos with no farangs and they only sell whisky or beer smile.gif" border="0 I had a hard time the first time I was there trying to order a B52."

Well, the disco there was fun, and the younger kids that hang there are very friendly. You'll get along famously more than likely when there, and probably make a few friends within minutes. Go on a Fridy or Saturday. The whole soi will be mobbed with young Thais in their late teens and early to late twenties.

"I know all about not getting upset while you`re up-country ( or anywhere else for that matter )."

It's the best way to keep out of trouble and stay safe. I heard or read a story this past year about a German guy, can't remember if he was a tourist or living there off hand, but while driving he flipped a Thai driver the finger. The Thai gent pulled out a gun and shot the German guy dead. Not trying to scare anyone, but it's wise to keep your fingers to yourself. :-)

"In Buri Ram there was a huge fight between some guys and thing`s got rather nasty. I quikly got my shit together and walked away...."

Good move! The better part of valor and all that. If a fight breaks out it's best to just skeedaddle. I was at a morlam concert recently and a fight broke out after the show out front. We all just waited a ways away and waited for the commotion to subside, then went to our truck and got out of there. That Lao Kao makes people nuts! :-)

"It`s a long story, but the next day everything was good and some of the guys actully bought ME some beers. ( though, I think it helped that the owner of the disco became a friend of mine wink.gif" border="0 ( as I said, a LONG story )"

Well, I'd be interested in hearing it someday when you have the time to write it up and post it!

"But I`m a young easy going guy, and I belive that as long as I keep on smilling and not causing anybody to loose face, everything will be all right."

Good attitude Cy. You should have no problems.

"Cent, I think that I`ve read every single one of your storys and they are a big reason why I`m going there in the first place."

Have a great time up there. Use the info desk by the front counter of the Thong Tarin Hotel, even if you don't stay there, to check out the sites to see around there. I guess your best bet might be to rent a motocyke from the front desk to get around the city.

"Cent, if you do have the email or the phone nr. to the hotel I would be great."

Just found the contact info Cy. Here it is.

Thong Tarin Hotel

60 Sirirat Road

Surin, Thailand

Tel: 044-514281/8

Fax #: 044-511580

"Thanks for all the info."

No problem. Have fun!

Cent

p.s I have the contact for another hotel near the Thong Tarin that a friend of mine used once when he was there. I'll dig up the info and post it here for you. Just in case you need it. I think it was a bit cheaper, and he seemed to like it okay. The Thong Trin is nice though, and I doubt you'll have a problem getting a room this time of year.

Archived