MY THIRD TRIP-DAY 13

sayjann

finally decided to get up at around 10 a.m. after a very disturbed morning.

our bed was in the same room as the only shower and toilet in the house and had a steady stream of people going in and out and making a lot of noise.

and everytime i was awoken,i was disappointed not to see Nok beside me,she must have up very early.

but i finally decided to get up when i opened my eyes and i looked into the face of the little boy from the previous day.

he stood there just grinning at me and i stuck my tongue out at him and he giggled.

Nok suddenly appeared and saw him and scolded him and he went running off.

she climbed under the mozzie net and we lay there for a while in each other's arms.

well i got up and straight into the sarong and flip flops and went for a pee.

looked at the water butt and thought 'fuck the shower'.

at last i could have a decent pee,i had got up in the night bursting and had stumbled around in the dark and think i done it in the right place.

onto the patio and was greeted by Nok's father and several other men,all with beers in their hands,they must start early in this part of the world.

the place was full of kids running around and people kept coming and going and i just sat there taking it all in.

the little boy appeared and grabbed my hand and started to pull me,i pulled back,wondering what he wanted.

Nok saw what was happening and scolded the boy again and he started getting quite animated with her and then she explained to me that he wanted me to go with him,he had something to show me.

off we went and we walked hand in hand through the village and he seemed so proud to be with me.

he puffed his chest out and shouted at his friends and pointed at me and seemed to be showing me off.

i got the impression he was telling everyone he had a falang friend and they didn?t,i had to smile.

we eventually got to a big building and it turned out to be his school and he just wanted me to see it.

when we got back to the house,Nok said she would take me to where we could buy tickets for the bus back to BKK,and i was relieved.

i had been a little worried about getting back to BKK.

we jumped on the bike and rode for around 30 minutes until we reached a fairly largish town called Seka.

the journey took us through tiny villages and miles and miles of rice fields full of women working.

we got lot's of waves and calls as we rode past and i loved it.

had to negotiate many herds of buffalo being led down the road.

i was just sitting there with video in hand just filming away and Nok kept reaching behind her and grabbing my free hand and putting it around her waist.

in Seka,Nok took me to the little office where the bus stopped and we bought the tickets for the following day.

we had a walk around and again i got the stares from the locals.

most of the shops seemed to be selling sportswear and i hardly saw any food shops or other types of clothing shops.

Nok took me to the market as she wanted to buy the food for the nights feast.

saw some fruit i liked and we bought loads of that and 2 pineapples,as Nok knew i liked pineapple.

bought some meat and then through the live animal section which were obviously being sold for food.

loads of fish writhing around and Nok asked if there was anything i fancied?.

not really i said,i'm not really keen on eating food which i have seen alive and well.

and as for the big maggots/bugs she offered to me,that was a total no-no,just seeing them moving about was almost enough to make me puke.

back on the bike and made the return journey to her village.

i went and got some beer for Papa and myself and then watched Nok cut up the pineapple in the Thai way which i find fascinating.

then Nok started playing with the little boy and they were having such fun and i like to watch the video i took of this.

when she finished playing she asked if i wanted to go somewhere else?,she wanted to show me something and of course i did,i wanted to see as much as possible.

onto the bike again and this time she let the boy come along and he stood between her legs with his hands on the handlebars.

went the opposite direction this time and again saw nothing but rice fields and Nok told she worked in the fields when she returned home.

in the distance was a large rocky hill and i asked what it was and i was told i would soon see,that was where we were heading.

as we got nearer i noticed walkways all around it and people on all the levels.we finally turned into this well kept park,dominated my a large lake with a temple on one side and a little hill with a large tower at the top.

realised we were at a Buddist Monastery and so many monks around,some of them very young.

we parked up and we took off our shoes and the 3 of us walked up the stairs to the top of the little hill and there was a large round building which was intricately carved all around the outside.

the carvings were of thousands of little figures and Nok told me they told the story of an episode in Buddha's life.

it seemed the building was a little temple and Nok wanted to go inside and give her offerings,but the door was locked and she was really disappointed.

we sat around for a while and i just contemplated of the serenity of it all.

sat looking at the large rocky hill and asked what it was,but she could'nt really explain,just said it was to do with the monks.

i have since found out from the TAT website that is a very holy place in the area and there are 7 levels of enlightment and as the monks progressed in their studies,they were then able to move up another level.

and on the 3rd level(i think),a group of female monks lived.

all this time,the boy had never let go of Nok's hand and they were having a lot of fun and i again asked her if he was her son?,and again she told me no.

she then told me he was her half brother and that her father had had an affair and the woman died in childbirth and he had taken the child in.

but i was'nt convinced,i could see such a bond between them,they were so close.

i was sure he was her son.

she wanted to get back as it would be dark in about an hour and it also looked rain and she did'nt want to get caught in it,so off we went back to her village.

i had enjoyed myself so much the last 3-4 days in her company and decided to give her a treat,and told her that i would cook that night for the family.

she looked at me in disbelieve and her special way by leaning her head to the left and having such a quizzical look in her eye and just said 'man not cook,man cannot cook'

i assured her this man could cook and would prove it and she said ok.

well i rooted around amongst the pots and pans and knives and suchlike and got just about all i needed.

she sat there cross legged as i sliced and diced the meat and then prepared the vegetables and soon i had an audience,as her sister joined Nok watching me and then another couple of women arrived.

i could'nt make anything fancy as i did'nt have the right ingredients to make any sauces or suchlike,so decided to keep it simple and something she would know.

boring i know,but only stir-fried beef with veg.

Nok had prepared the fire and soon the wok was sizzling away with all the ingredients and i was quite enjoying being the centre of attraction.

well finally it was ready and i dished it out for Nok and about 4 others and i was glad they seemed to enjoy it.

but then a problem arose.

more people arrived and it seemed they wanted to try the falang cooking,but nothing left.

there was a group of young kids sitting around and Nok explained that the food was gone and this little girl of around 3 started to cry and that done it for me.

i had been shown good hospitality and i had to show my gratitude.

the girl crying reminded me of a small girl on Panyii Island,sitting in the rain crying because none of the tourists had bought her postcards.

of course i had to go over and buy the cards from the girl and now i had another small girl crying in front of me,i?m such a softie.

gave Nok some money and told her to get some of the women to go out and buy a lot more meat,veg and eggs and then helped Nok to build a second fire.

when all the food arrived had some of the women helping me prepare the food and then i spent quite a time cooking the meal again and also done some boiled eggs and laughed as i gave them hot to the kids and they juggled them from hand to hand.

gave some money to Nok's father to get some whiskey for him and his cronies and some beer for me and everyone was happy.

we had quite a party that night and probably the best nights i have ever spent in Thailand.

but when all the food was gone i decided to treat them to my speciality scrambled eggs.

could'nt do it the way i like,but did my best and dished a little bit out to the folks.

could tell some of them were'nt that sure about it,but they ate it.

but the only sour point came after all the food was gone and people had gone home.

Nok was washing up all the pots and pans and these 2 lads appeared,probably in their mid 20's and one of them talked to me in Thai and i just shook my head and indicated i did'nt understand.

he picked up a knife and prodded it into my stomach and i certainly did'nt like it.

i called to Nok and she saw what was happening and leapt up and pushed the guy away and was really angry.

they left,but i felt uneasy.

when everything was finished Nok and i retired to bed and the normal sex happened,but not good tonight,we were both tired and while we were both satisfied,it did'nt seem the same.

after tossing and turning for a while,i knew i could'nt sleep and got up again and got a couple of beers and just outside again and read my book.

but 2 thing worried me as i sat there.

first of all there were a few big,odd looking bugs crawling around the floor and my feet were soon up on the seat as i watched them very carefully,i hate big bugs....

but the second thing was again a worry.

i was sitting there all alone,it was quiet and Nok's father had crashed out in one of the hammocks when a motorbike pulled up and it was the 2 lads from earlier on.

they approached me and the aggressive one from earlier had a look on his face that i did'nt like and suddenly pulled a knive from his waistband and again started to poke me in the stomach with it.

one of the thrusts hurt and i just about lost my cool and was going to react,but was also worried and quite scared.

anything might have happened to me and i just retreated,but he kept following me and by now his friend had picked up a piece of wood and was flanking me.

by now i could'nt even get into the room Nok and i shared and i really did think this was it.

this may sound dramatic,but by now i was really scared.

then a saviour appeared.

Nok's father was awoken by all the talking and even in his drunken state seemed to recognise what was going on and got up and slapped the guy around the face and took the knife off of him and really launched into a tirade against him.

he was pushing them both and for a while i feared for him,but no worries,he grabbed their bike and pushed it to the floor and ran them off his property.

he then picked the bike up and wheeled it to the road and threw it down in the bushes.

he then came up to me and grinned at me and shook my hand and i do not think i have ever been so grateful to anyone in my life.

i thought i would get well out of the way and retired to the bedroom and cuddled up to Nok,but i was still a little shaken.

to this day i think he may have been Nok's boyfriend/husband.

and he may have been a little put out with her bringing me to the village.

i will never know.

but i admit this incident had put me off a little about the idea of taking a girl upcountry again.

sayjann said:

Nok was washing up all the pots and pans and these 2 lads appeared,probably in their mid 20's and one of them talked to me in Thai and i just shook my head and indicated i did'nt understand.

he picked up a knife and prodded it into my stomach and i certainly did'nt like it.

i called to Nok and she saw what was happening and leapt up and pushed the guy away and was really angry.

they left,but i felt uneasy. . .

but the second thing was again a worry.

i was sitting there all alone,it was quiet and Nok's father had crashed out in one of the hammocks when a motorbike pulled up and it was the 2 lads from earlier on.

they approached me and the aggressive one from earlier had a look on his face that i did'nt like and suddenly pulled a knive from his waistband and again started to poke me in the stomach with it.

one of the thrusts hurt and i just about lost my cool and was going to react,but was also worried and quite scared.

anything might have happened to me and i just retreated,but he kept following me and by now his friend had picked up a piece of wood and was flanking me.

by now i could'nt even get into the room Nok and i shared and i really did think this was it.

this may sound dramatic,but by now i was really scared.

then a saviour appeared.

Dude, I have got to ask and I'm not insulting or criticizing you in the least bit. I am simply amazed how people don't perceive and react to serious physical threats. Where are you from and did you ever fight while you were growing up?

I mean how do you not get into a defensive position or insure you are not in striking distance when someone is brandishing a knife around you? Don't your alarm bells start ringing when they approach you in an unfriendly way? Do you even pay attention to their posture and movements? Once a guy is inside your guard with a knife, you are pretty much toast and can't defend yourself for shit, without taking the blade in you first. Personally, I can't comprehend why you let the guy get that close to you a second time.

Have you ever seen someone get stabbed? I will tell you it ain't a pretty sight and most people seem to go into some sort of shock when they are stabbed. I am always on guard when I am around Thai men because I know that knives can come out very quickly and it isn't just the young guys. I have seen quite a few middle age guys with a blade on their person. Asians like knives for some reason. Me, I prefer an aluminum baseball bat, PVC pipe, pepper spray or a handgun.

I don't even like to play around with Thai guys because you don't know how things can go. Several times some Thai guy after a little booze, has always approached me talking about his Muay Thai days or wanting to play spar with me(my size and build make me some sort of challenge to them). I always hear them ramble on about how I'm big and strong but I must not be that fast because of my size and Thai men are fast . . .blah. . . blah. . . blah. I have received plenty of glares at Thai pubs and discos but thankfully no tests.

My point is that you always have to be on your guard and be ready to protect yourself, especially when traveling alone. Whenever I visit some chick outside of BKK I am going alone and I always have some sort of personal protection device on me. Once you leave the tourist entertainment zones, Thailand is like any other place, it can be dangerous.

I hope when you do decide to leave the tourist areas again that you keep personal safety uppermost in your mind.

JJ.

i know i must come across as quite naive,but at the time i was.

my first time out of a tourist area,my first time dealing with Thai men.

i was used to being with lovely Thai Girls and never imagined this sort of situation rising.

i have travelled all over the world and this was the only time i have ever felt threatened by any of the local population.

i'm from the UK and was a pussy as i grew up.

the only time i ever hit anyone i broke 3 fingers as my technique was bad.

decided i would leave all the fighting to the bigger boys.

plus i'm a little bloke,only 120 pounds and not geared to throwing my weight around.

plus it happened quickly and i was unprepared for what followed.

but i survived and am still around thanks to the Father... :applause:

have i ever seen a knife wound?.

i have worked in an A&E Department(Emergency Room) for 24 Years and have seen just about every kind of injury there is.

but i put it down to experience and will remember it as something that was not one of my finest memories.

sayjann said:

plus i'm a little bloke,only 120 pounds and not geared to throwing my weight around.

Well then you must be fast just like them Thai guys! Study some Muay Thai and next time you go to the village do your fighting exercises in the front yard for all to witness! I bet you they will think twice abotu stepping to you. Then again they may just hit you over the head when your not looking.

Seriously though. . . there is nothing wrong or less masculine about not being able to fight. You just have to heighten you senses and recognize potentially dangerous situations a heck of a lot quicker. Especially if you travel alone.

I always try to haul ass before things get out of hand but if I can't I don't have a problem using force. When it comes to fight or flight I prefer FLIGHT! My face is too pretty to get scarred.

"My face is too pretty to get scarred"

i bet you get all the Girls calling you 'Hansum Man'?.... :grinyes:

seriously though at the moment i have no plans to travel back to LOS.

i am happily with a Filipino Nurse and as she knows all about my trips to LOS i am basically banned from going again in the future.

i would love to travel all over Thailand and see many things but at the moment not an issue.

time to settle down and i am happy to be with her and travel to the Phillipines with her.

but no way will i be allowed off the leash... :banghead:

but never say never..

Hi sayjann,

Just another angle on your trip to the village.

Farang mythology tells us that being invited to meet the family, particularly parents, is a sign of sincerity and commitment on the part of a TG. In this case, it is clear that your relationship was not intended to be serious or long lasting and the girl knew that. But she not only invited you to meet her parents but actally to visit her home village.

This is only one case of course, but definitely not consistent with the usual understanding.

Khwai

you may be right,i'm not too hot on that sort of stuff.

but our relationship was to continue for a time and i spent almost 2 Years trying to get the Girl to the UK.

but circumstances came between us and i had to let go and my dream of spending the rest of my life with her has had to go unfulfilled....... :banghead:

Archived