Songkhran Dates, 2004 - When?

MooNoi

Hey Ya...

Anyone know the "official" dates of Songkran for BKK, Pattaya and Phuket this year? (Just want to plan which days I'll barricade myself in my room with my tilac and stay dry...well, kind of dry! :hubba: )

Info appreciated!

Fly P.

Songkran official dates anywhere (except Pattaya/Chonburi) is April 13-15. HOWEVER, in many of the more party-happy provinces, which would include the North and North East, festivities will start a lot sooner. Songkran day (13) being on a Tuesday this year helps extra, I would think people taking the Monday off and start partying come Saturday 10th. ;-) If you plan to travel anywhere then do so before Friday!

Now in the South it's another matter; it's just dead. Flew to Phuket last year on the 14th to find absolutely NOTHING going on. I was perplexed. And asked around. Turns out they only have it on the 13th. Booooooooooooooooring.

So if you want to avoid it, plan to go South. Drove all over the Andaman coast from 14, 15, 16 and found ZERO evidence of Songkran. Just weird.

Pattaya dates I don't know. NO WAY would I want to be there anywhere near Songkran, be it the official nationwide days or their surrogate watered down (hehehe, pardon the pun) version. Both are horrible, mostly due to the Farang-hooligans around and that at neither dates "everyone" in town is going for it at the same time and celebrating all together like you get in the North.

Cheers,

Chanchao

>Now in the South it's another matter; it's just dead. Flew to Phuket last year on the 14th to find absolutely NOTHING going on. I was perplexed. And asked around. Turns out they only have it on the 13th.

I know Koh Samui is not the southest place but last year it was a total Songkhran madness there. I had a bunch of Thais (and their barrels) in the backtray of my 4WD, driving them around almost all day. The car looked like she was out from a swamp.

Even cashiers in Tesco would paint 2 white powder stripes on the cheek of every customer.

We were isolated inside the resort compound but my gf said it was going on for 3 days.

In Pattaya, it was 1 week later.

(A reminder: last year, that was the SARS outbreak time at it's height, The Stones cancelled their concert in BKK, US/Iraq war was in it's full - the number of holiday makers at Samui although high must had been reduced)

OHHH SHIT that is exactly the week that I have booked into Pattaya, is it really that bad, do I need to think again.......

Yep - that's why I'm going to (try) and avoid it this year. I had last year's Songkhran in Pattaya and its a lot more full-on than BKK.

I've always found that in BKK its okay because you get wet during the day, then everyone goes out at night in their "nice evening clothes" and gets left alone.

Last year Songkhran in Pattaya went day-and-night, and me and my mates were sitting in sopping wet clothes in freezing cold a-go-go airconditioning and we all caught horrendous colds which made our trips suck big time! :cussing:

There also seemed to be a lot more farang-wankers in Pattaya who really didn't seem to take the right spirit that Songkhran is meant to be taken in and just wanted to be lager-louts and piss people off. They succeeded! :cussing:

I can't quite remember, (I'd have to check my trip diary), but it seemed to go on for 4 or 5 days instead of the usual three.

There was a long thread about last year's songkhran after the event, and it would be worth looking it up for some more info.

Take care!

(Hope we can meet for a drink while you're in LOS anyway, UG). Cheers, Fly P. :beer:

>I've always found that in BKK its okay because you get wet during the day, then everyone goes out at night in their "nice evening clothes" and gets left alone.<

Not my experience. was in BKK two years ago for Songkran, and caught a full bucket of water from some thai lout while walking through Asok plaza. But it only took half an hour to dry up, I always wear thin easy dry clothes for the occasion, and wrap my cellphone in a condom.

I'll probably be in BKK again this year for the occasion, I thought it was rather fun, espacially in SC

Pattaya usually runs after BKK. I was actually in sort of a motorcade from end of the toll road to Jomtien...Lets see now since it is 13-15 I would expect that Pattya run wild thru the following Sat and Sunday. True abou the south, very low key and on the 13th pretty much. Possiblly the night before some but the stuff will be out on the 14th. Good Fun but enough is enough. Another difference betwenn BKK/P-Town and Phuket is the southern party is not agressive boarderline violent with the water. Big Sanook!

Pattaya's Songkran always falls on the 19th.

Big day, but only one (a bit of splashing on the 13th too, though). Last year in Chiang Mai, one week before the 13th, i was soaking wet by all the kids waiting for you at the curve of a street in the region on my out of town bike rides, and most likely some of CM neighboroods too.

The people I usually stay with in Phuket tell me it's huge down there (Karon). Last month they actually asked me why I have never been to Thailand for Songkran, and how much fun they have in Phuket.

I almost refered her to the countless anti sonkran threads on NEP.com.

As said, maybe it's just for one day.

> I've always found that in BKK its okay because you get wet during

> the day, then everyone goes out at night in their "nice evening

> clothes" and gets left alone.<

Chiang Mai is definitely like that.. Not so for Pattaya though. :(

> The people I usually stay with in Phuket tell me it's huge down

> there (Karon). Last month they actually asked me why I have never

> been to Thailand for Songkran,

'Huge' maybe in their minds, and then one day only on the 13th? I was there last year (2003) on the 14th, in Patong, Karon, Kata, Phuket Town, etc. Made a point in keeping all my bags inside the cab of the pick-up I rented and kept the doors locked. But I might as well have left them outside: ZERO water throwing.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Archived