Reinstalling windows98

tonychang

have accidently deleted system32 file in windows so now my USB dont work. I want to delete and then reinstall windows98 (I have a disk but not same version of 98 i have so wont repair) but dont want to scrub my music. Can I just remove from "add/remove programs" and reinstall or do I need to back up my personal files and music on another machine?

can anyone recommend any other boards for non techies if you dont know the answer?

Cheers in advance

tc

have accidently deleted system32 file in windows so now my USB dont work.

Before you think of reinstalling your OS, if you remember the exact names of the files you deleted, you might check if they are on the windows 98 disc and put them again on your hard disk (in the right directory of course!). IIf this doesn't work, you miight consider reinstalling it.

I want to delete and then reinstall windows98 but dont want to scrub my music. Can I just remove from "add/remove programs" and reinstall or do I need to back up my personal files and music on another machine?

A back up of your personal files is highly reccomendable if you are going to do something major like reinstalling your OS. Alternatively, you may consider partitioning your hard drive first and copy all the documents to the new partition. A program like partition magic can do the trick. Then format the c- drive and reinstall windows and your software.

Good luck,

soongmak

been a while since I worked with W98 ... but I recall being able to go in and do a file comparison. A missing file in the sys is usually backed up in another location, or can be d/l from windrivers.com or a host of other places.

There are also window utilities available via tucows and others that will repair such damage. Used to do it fairly often. I must say I have none of these problems using XP . just lucky I guess.

Archived