For Scandi's : SAS to stop CPH - Bangkok

you mean it's good news if swiss & sas ceased operations between europe & bkk? :eek:

you mean those who fly brand new airbus A340's with everything that goes with that :neener:

well as a frequent flyer that route & preferably dirict cph-bkk then it's very bad, but luckily also unlikely news in my ears despite the problems negotiating crew salery cuts :rolleyes:

scandi will open new route to shanghai later this month, so if that's merely a replacement for the bkk route & not an addition then the world is falling apart :p

remember bkk will open new apt 2005 ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IB,

I find it hard to believe also, but I am worried nonetheless.

The founder of Ryanair recently called the top management of SAS for "chickenbrains". However it seems to me that not only the management are to blame but also the labor unions.

"SAS will stop it's service between Copenhagen and Bangkok on the 28 March. "

.......................................................................................

I can not see how they can stop flying CPH-BKK as early as 28th March.

They are selling tickets for this flight later than this date on SAS web site.

Cheers!

Hi FlyP,

I always thought SAS was one of the more profitable airlines, so cost-cutting news comes as a surprise

Well, we are not since 11/9. Although a long array of cost-cutting efforts have been introduced during the last 2½ years, we recently came out with the worst result ever in the history of the airline. Deficit 12.000.000.000 baht.

I as well as the majority of my colleagues are absolutely amazed that the management is even considering closing down the CPH-BKK route, as this is the hardest flight to get boarded as a standby passenger due to high load factor. Additionally the cargo brought in on this flight is also substantial.

I guess it is a question of low yield combined with demands from the unions. Only last year the crew on any long distance SAS airplane had to be composed of an equal number of norwegian/danish and swedish staff. :doah:

Imagine how much time and money was spent on such a ridiculous rule.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

>I can not see how they can stop flying CPH-BKK as early as 28th March.

They are selling tickets for this flight later than this date on SAS web site.

If they did they would work out some agreement with TG for a codeshare as they are in the same alliance.

On the other note, about profitability of SAS: they were a joke in late 70s. Then new managing director (Jan Carlzon) turned them around in 1981.

It was him who introduced Business Class into the industry, replacing/complementing first class.

Can't remember exactly but he could have been the pioneer of Frequent Flyer programmes too.

SAS may want him back again?

Hi TTM,

"If they did they would work out some agreement with TG for a codeshare as they are in the same alliance."

They had a codeshare before, but now TG has a codeshare with Air Canada! BKK-CPH-BKK is probably one of TGs most profitable ones - it's almost fullbooked for months, so they don't have capacity to transport a lot of extra passengers! :grinyes:

"SAS may want him back again?"

Jan Carlzon is regarded as joke nowadays. Painting the old airplanes, new textiles on the chairs and introducing curtains made everybody think he was a renewing SAS. On the other side the managements after him did nothing! :drunk:

:beer:

elef

Well, it seems that the CPH - BKK route is saved. SAS will be split into 4 entities, 3 national companies and one for the intercontinental routes including the CPH - BKK.

It also seems that SAS will start to employ eastern european labor in stead of the expensive scandiavian. Knowing how Eastern european women can be, maybe there's a chance for a ST en route to BKK :rolleyes::cover:

Archived