fin air

gazz--

According to my source guide Finnair gives you the European industry average of seat width of 18.5 (inches between your arm rests) and a pitch of 36 (inches from the seat in front of you to your seat cushion).

These measurements are from their MD-11's and may be slightly different on other models (A340's/A310's) in their fleet.

They do win numerous awards for their onboard catering (food and beverage service).

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: We use their ground catering services in Helsinki and I really like their food.

I do not know Fin Air as I never flew with this company. But as somebody flying very often, especially long distances, I maybe can provide you with some general infomation:

- the MD11 is (since the 747 is not often in use anymore at European Airlines at least)the biggest plan the Airline do have, as far as the seat capacitiy is concerned. This is the reason why most Airlines do use this planes for the flights to Thailand as normally these flights are booked well. In my opinion this is a pitty as I prefer to fly Airbus (mostly used on the USA routes).

But the preferences depend actually on your travelling habbits. If you are a good "sleeper" you are well of with the MD11 bacause this plan grants some more space. In the Airbus they do have a box under each and every economy seat which is quite anoiying when trying to sleep. BUT, I am one of the guys who has problems sleeping while flying. Therefore I apprichiate the onboard entertainment system the Airbus provides (every seat does have it's own screen and control system). The MD11 does just provide what you can get on the "big screen". Therefore I would not care too much much about inches (or cm) as it is about the same everywhere, but more about your preferences and therefore about the type of plane the Airline offers.

PS: fly business class and all this is no issue anyway. But also here I strongly recommend to choose an Airline offering planes form Airbus as they do have, besides the better entertainment systems, the much more comfortable seats.

• 2 weeks later...

Try travel choice in your high street as well. When I was looking for my March flight Finnair came up a couple of times but only from LHR. A regional add on seemed to throw them out the best buy league.

As for the Airbus. I flew with AF 2 years ago via CDG on the 340 ( ? the 4 engine one ) it was more cramped than the BA 747 the previous trip. But, the plane doesnt matter, its the airlines seating plan you should watch out for.

I recently flew JFK-HEL-JFK on a Finnair MD-11 and it was an altogether pleasant experience. Comfortable cabin, good food and service.

On our return into New York, as we were on final approach about 150 meters above the end of the runway, the pilot suddenly gunned the engines and 60 seconds later we were at 5000 feet again...he came on the intercom and calmly explained that there had been "traffic on the runway"...so someone on the ground had fucked up royally. The whole maneuver was done smoothly and 10 minutes later we landed. So, in addition to price and comforts, Finnair has competent pilots..and what better recommendation could there be.

By the way, the Helsinki airport is a marvel of Scandanavian design, with hardwood floors and an incredibly quiet ambiance. A great place for a connection.

As to why I went to Helsinki in January, in addition to brown skinned raven haired Thai beauties, I also like pale blondes, so I arranged for my Russian gfr to come on the train from St. Petersburg...a real adventure for her, and a delicious contrast for me. We spent a nice weekend finding ways to stay warm in the frozen north.....

She wants to accompany me to Bangkok later this year...hmmm, I've always liked chocolate/vanilla swirl ice cream....

J22J

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: jack22jack ]

Archived