Amari

The Amari, if you stay in the main building, has nicely re-done rooms, slightly reminiscent of the Shangrila, but a lot cheaper. Its also in an excellent location. If you stay there, book for two people, that way you won't get hassled taking a friend to your room at night.

They also have a great breakfast buffet. Expect to pay something like 3000 to 4500 baht per night.

I recommend friends stay at the Manhattan on Suk Soi 15. Not the same up-scale look, as its a tourist hotel, but the rooms are clean, the staff is excellent, and if you book for two people, no hassles at night. Expect to pay 900 to 1200 baht if you book over the web (Diethlem or Planet Holiday) including breakfast. Much more bang for you buck (pun intended :: ).

Rick,

In comparing 25.00 to 130.00 rooms...Wow...You'll be let down when staying at any! I to like the Manhattan but it's shit compared to the upper end of anything! I'd recommend the suites in any of the president group first and they are only 2 or 3 star joints. Take a look at the www.presidentpark.com

A side note: I'm staying at the president solitaire platnum suite for a week in April and will give it a review later...but at 3000 baht for a 74m2 suite with a 42inch plasma and jacuzzi tub it beter be great...or shit they are wasting some baht!

Some suites on a 2 week rental would run you around the same price as 1 week rack room at the JW. Keeps you near/on Suk, the Bts and the Bermuda triangle! View the factsheet under accomodations or click on the suite pictures after picking dates at the President solitaire for a look a room layout!

SB

Stayed at the Watergate on many occassions and found it to be great hotel albeit a bit stuffy and many of the front desk girls to be "up their own arses".

Customr care is excellent at the Amari. I stayed there with an ex-gf and on returning one evening she was given loads of shit from the fella that stands at the lift lobby (Are u a bar girl sort of stuff) even though she was a paying guest with me!

She got upset, made a complaint when checking out, wrote a letter of complaint and they sent us a coupon for 3 nights accomodation in their penthouse suite :)

Archived