"leh goh" "la goh"

gawguy

I sort of half understand "goh" which is a particle or a conjunction and used all the time and is often not exactly translatable. Would you agree so far?

What is "leh goh" or "la goh"? Does it mean "and then" ? or "also"? Is "leh" "and" in this instance.

Answers in transliteration and Thai script appreciated.

Thanks,

GG

Hi GG,

Well, you already supplied the answer to your question.

ààÅáç means "and then" used for instance when you are ordering a list of stuff at your grocer and reaching the final item on your list. ¨

In order to convey the specific meaning of "also" I would rather use duay. ´éÇÂ. Aw nee duay, want this too/also.

Goh on it`s own often means "too".

Phom Goh Pai. I go too.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Many of those particles aren't really translatable with a 1:1 word that works all the time. Also the English 'of' translates into numerous words in just about any other language you translate it to.

Often it works more like punctuation (comma, breathing space) than anything else.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I sort of half understand "goh" which is a particle or a conjunction and used all the time and is often not exactly translatable. Would you agree so far?

I don't really see it as a particle or a conjunction but I do agree that it is not exactly translatable. Generally when you use it, it indicates to the listener that you are about to make a polite request for something. I've seen it suggested here that it is a substitute for "please may I have..."

lah gor simply tacks "and" in front of the request. In some cases, your translation "and then" is correct. In this case, the combination is a conjunction and does also substitute for a pause in speech. However, if you wanted to say "and then we went to the store" you would not use lah gor.

"leaw gor" means "and then"

"gor" on its own is sort of a verbal comma. good to know and use during pauses when you're thinking of the next thing to say.

also in descriptions: It's delicious = mun gor aroi

Archived