Bars demolished in Koh Samui / Lamai

Man at Work

A friend just emailed me, that the bar "Rock Pub" and all the bars vis a vis (they used to have two rows of kinda shabby bars back to back) werde demolished.:cussing:

Does anybody have further info???::

Yes Limbo, I know you do not go out much anymore, since you are a family-man :neener:

MaW

I think I know what bars these are and I have no direct knowledge, but it would not surprise me. And my guess would be land values.

There is a property boom right now in Thailand (which may become a bubble), and property values in Bangkok, Koh Samui, Phuket, etc., are skyrocketing. I live here and have a condo, and was thinking about buying something new...until I seriously started checking the prices. Ouch. Well maybe not bad if you are coming from London or San Francisco, but for someone who lives and works here, even in a decent job, prices seem very high.

And this makes me wonder how long some of the real down market places in Bangkok will last. For example, the shot gun shack bars at the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit. I like bars, but that is obviously not the best use of that real estate and you have to wonder how long it will be before those places are demolished - they are sitting on real estate that must be worth a small fortune.

Hi MAW,

was there last week and a month ago as well.

The Lamai Nightlife Centre is no more, completely torn down.

Just wonder where all the girls ended up?

Rumour has it that within given time all beer bars in Lamai and Chaweng will be relocated to an outside centre palce.

Not sure where that will be in Lamai but in Chaweng there's talk about having everything relocated around the Reggea Pub, even the Green Mango and other big discos in Chaweng.

No drama here.

Leases in Lamai Night Plaza ran out, this has been known about for at least 3 years. Orginal plan was to rebuild bars but a new hotel is planed and the hotel operator does not want any bars.

The rock pub was disaster anyway and I am told that area, opposite the old Night Plaza, also had it leases expired. Due to be redeveloped.

Most of the old Night Plaza bars are now in the central road (soi kingmaico some call it)

There are more bars than ever before in Lamai, and quite a few farang owned bars are for sale. Business is not exactly booming!

limbo said:

Hi MAW,

The Lamai Nightlife Centre is no more, completely torn down.

Just wonder where all the girls ended up?

Rumour has it that within given time all beer bars in Lamai and Chaweng will be relocated to an outside centre palce.

But the bar-beers around the boxing ring are still there, aren't they.

Centralisation will make it harder for the butterfly to take a fresh order every night without last-nights-girl noticing it (If that is possible at all, regarding their Information-system).

But after all, there were to many bar-beers in Lamai anyway, and eách time I was there, they were building new ones.

MaW

MaW

I had my Polaroid-Picture at one post of the "Rat-Bar 2" on the left side oft the bars. Do you think there is a chance of getting it back?

Or do you think it was the reason , they tore the whole complex down?

Anyway, I will miss the great Lavatories behind each bar. But on the other hand, I miss the whole Lamai.

MaW

Gadfly1 said:

And this makes me wonder how long some of the real down market places in Bangkok will last. For example, the shot gun shack bars at the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit. I like bars, but that is obviously not the best use of that real estate and you have to wonder how long it will be before those places are demolished - they are sitting on real estate that must be worth a small fortune.

The bars in Lolits square were mostly demolished a couple of weeks ago and a corrugated metal fence now lines the pavement.

But, through the gaps you can still see at least 1 bar open with lights on, which I am told you can gain entrance to by knocking on a door in the fence. The ones round on the Asoke / Suk corner are still open but I dont think they will be there much longer when the subway opens.

limbo said:

Hi MAW,

Out of town beer bars, out of town shopping, out of town relaxation activities, when they move everything out of town, what will be left there?

This wasnt dreamt up by the man who has the sonthaew / motorbike taxi concession was it?

Archived