Songkran In Sydney Today

Torneyboy

Songkran was held to day at Darling Harbor in Sydney .

The Consul General of Thailand officially opened the event.

For the third year in a row it rained off and on all day.

Started with a parade .....all dressed in the costumes of different regions of thailand.

My wifes sister was again one of the MCs....Issan only had a few girls to parade ..so they got my wife to enter as well...later found out none of the eight were from Issan ::

The rain just held off long enough for the parade to finish.

Thai dancers flown out for the event were wonderful as were all that performed on the day.

We had twenty girls this year for the beauty contest.

Firts prize of 30000 thb and a return ticket to LOS .

Won by #10. #1 won the 15000thb prize for selling the most raffle tickets.

The girls were complaining about the winner (her dad has power) i think they were saying.

Sorry girls same thing was said last year as well

Lots of stalls and food for all to enjoy.

Interesting comment from a politician ...there are 10000 Thai born now living in NSW....i would have thought many more than that :dunno:

A great day again, well done the Thai community of Sydney for getting behind this event now in its sixth year.

Glad you had a good day. They have the same in Melbourne next weekend... but I'll be enjoying the real thing in LOS next week! :grinyes:

I would have thought that the 10000 Thais living in NSW would be about right.

As a percentage, (let's say NSW has a pop. of 5,000,000), that would make it 0.2% of the population as Thai-born.

There are a lot less Thais in Oz than other Asian nationalities - Chinese, Vietnamese etc. Remember that there were no Thai "refugees" as such... unlike Vietnam for instance. Thais love Thailand to the max, as you know, and most wouldn't even think of migrating unless for work or marrying a farang etc. Unlike the Vietnamese of Chinese who leave their homeland for "the promised land" and "a better life", Thai people don't see life in farangland as better for them, for the most part. Fly P. :beer:

Hi

Me to :beer: :beer:

I just thought i guess as we spend a lot of time in chinatown i see many Thais and therefore looks to me anyway that the number was a bit off.

Thai students i understand to be a floating figure of 8000 at any one time :dunno:

Anyway enough to make a very good community and add to our multicultural way of life these days.

Yes a good .....maybe 3000 at the peak of the day for the beauty contest :p...and to draw the raffel for tickets to Los.

Archived