Twas the Night Before Songkran and all Thru the...

zanemay

Twas the Night Before Songkran and all Through the House...

I am not a fan of Songkran?no way. It?s brutal in Pattaya because the water comes out at least a week before the actual day. Last year I was on the way to a dentist appointment in a baht bus with a bunch of old ladies and a truck of kids came up and nailed us. Oh?yeah. Great fun. Nothing like going into a serious appointment or meeting with your good clothes all wet.

But Songkran is living, breathing culture and there?s an engine that will drive it forever - the palpitating hearts of the millions of excited little kids who have been on the sidelines of the fun waiting to get just big enough to finally be able to throw some water. However we feel about the inconvenience, the vehicular mayhem, and the waste of water in drought areas?whatever logic you would like to render, try telling them. They have been watching their pii-chai?s and pii-sao?s throw water for a couple of years and it is obviously the funnest thing to do of all fun things.

All the Thai?s I know want to know where I?m going for ?thii-aow? (fun) during Songkran. Saying I?m going to ?Yoo nai hong? (stay in my room) does not cut it as an answer. They ask with a big smile, ?Songkran sanook, mai?? Don?t even bother saying ?mai sanook? or giving the farang?s point of view.

It would be like thousands of Thai?s coming to farangland and saying Santa Claus and Christmas are stupid. Yep, they are. Reindeers can?t fly for Christ?s sake (or any other reason) and what about that naughty/nice database? It?s an iron-clad cinch weasel lawyers would line up to sue Santa for violation of privacy - class-action, injunction, cease & desist.

How did the birth of gentle baby Jesus get twisted into the world?s most drawn-out shopping orgy!? But tell it to the little kids who are tossing and turning on Christmas eve listening for the sleigh, and tell it to their big eyes when they see the living room in the morning.

How did a gentle Buddhist water ceremony get twisted into an orgy of industrial-strength water guns and homicidal soaking!? Tell it to the three year olds. I?m sure they?ll under-de-stand.

This year they are getting serious. No 'power assisted' guns are allowed, as is 'no powder'. Yet to be seen how well this will be enforced.

HT

They also said no Thai girls wearing spaghetti straps or revealing blouses will be allowed onto Khao San Road or at government Songkran fairs, citing the "success" of last year's restrictions. Last year they hooted and hollered about their success, but I heard otherwise.

and how much of it is "re-cycled" water

I still silently laff at the ppl that get sick the following days and say

( thais of course) its the weather/aircond/ect that makes them sick.

Last year I spent Songkran days in the garden of a friend who rented a house on local Beach road here.

The girls (3 of them) went crazy with sanuk throwing buckets of water and thais drove by by the thousand to get wet.

One group drove a nice classic convertible and their vehicle was transformed into a driving bathtub.

The worst of the thai girls ordered for 100 baht of ice to be delivered and they "cooled" down the waterbarrels. Not appreciated by all the victims...

thalenoi said:

..... they "cooled" down the waterbarrels. Not appreciated by all the victims...

Hi thalenoi,

That is the one thing I dislike about it all. Getting soaked with "air temperature" water is no problem, and if you prepare for it, the whole day is a lot of fun. The iced water is just nasty.

And for those who don't like it, just stay at home, or leave the country. I know a few people who plan their trips to Vietnam, Canbodia, wherever, for the Songkran period.

Khwai

Archived