An easy ftp server program

Pescator

I am attempting to share some large files (photos) with a friend of mine living abroad and setting up a ftp server seems like the best way. I could burn a CD and send it with snail mail, but we shall be sharing files on a regular basis. Email programs don`t allow files in excess of 10mb.

Any suggestions as to which ftp server program is easy to set up and use?

I have tried Raiden FTPD, but my buddy cannot connect to it, nor can I when I try from another PC.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi uk101

Neither do I. I am currently using cuteftp from Globalscape as a ftp program. To the best of my knowledge you cannot run a server with it. However, Globalscape also market a ftp server program, but the name evades me right now.

I am not familiar with Winmx, is this P2P software like kazaa, limewire etc.?

What I had in mind was to connect directly to my buddy and give him all my bandwith.

I wont be sharing files with anyone else. And as I understand from kazaa, emule, overnet etc is that you here share files with a lot of user, so that I shall not be able to direct all my bandwith to one single user?

Because if that would be possible and the speed of the transfer would roughly equalize that of my upload capacity, that would be just fine.

Cheers

Hua Nguu'

Hi soongmaak,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I do run yahoo as well as msn by the way and have used it for exchanging files.

But "You can only send up to 1.5 MB through File Transfer" or so it said on the URL you referred me to.

And my photos are high resolution photos up to 40 MB.

Besides, we will both have to be present during the file transfer and I shall have to select each file individually and transfer them separately.

Running a server will allow him to log on to my ftp anytime although I am not present and he can download whatever he wants from the designated folder.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi,

Yep WinMx is just another P2P program. I'm not an expert user but you can restrict the number of connections.

I'll interested in any solution you find as I'm just about to move to Tokyo for a 3 year assignment and a friend here will record some sports programs for me. These video files will be big !

Hi uk101,

The free ftp server program WAR that Gerhard suggested I have up and running by now.

It was very easy to configure - proof of that is that I already have it up and running by now :)

And I have already uploaded the files to my buddy.

Works great.

He uses CuteFtp to connect to my server.

There are no limitations on the size of the files you are transferring.

After the initial setup, upload and download is now a breeze since the configuration has been saved.

I am very pleased with the way it works.

You may consider to give it a try. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived