Red's only (sniff) 2004 trip.

Redbaron

Again, Miss Red was awaiting for me at Don Muang airport. This time, not alone though, her mum and mum's fiancee were there too. Likely because this time I was arriving at 11pm, instead of my usual 7am. Poor old mum was dog tired, so we took separate taxis - they back to their apartment, us to the hotel.

We stayed at Nanatai this time, an apartment like set up at the end of Suk soi 4. Well priced, and very clean - 1100B a night I think for the 'delux' suite - 200B cheaper for standard (although I don't know what these were like), and 100B for 2 breakfasts (if requested at booking - can't be changed. To be honest, the prices in the restaurant were pretty good, either way can't really go wrong in my opinion.)

I'd booked for 5 nights in Bangkok to start with. We did what we always do in these first few days. Saw a movie or two, visited the bars, caught up with old friends and generally relaxed a bit.

Talk around the bars was full of anticipation/panic on what the government's next move would be regarding closing times. Word on the street was that a lot of girls were looking at finding alternate employment, it seems the sky was falling. If you ask me, it won't change all that much.

We couldn't find Miss Red's old boss. Her number wasn't working which was hardly surprising, as she had about a dozen of them. One for each husband I'm told. Unfortunately we only had one number, but another of her ex employees tells us she's ok, doing well, and has had enough of the scene. Sound familiar?

Of course there was the obligatory shopping to be done, apparantly Miss Red wasn't too impressed with my slightly out of date wardrobe last time she came down under. When I got home again, for the first time in my life my sister complimented me on my attire. Job well done.

We flew down to Krabi for a few days this time. Glorious place. I visited briefly in my first trip (2000) but didn't get down to Ao Nang, where we ended up for 5 days this trip. Nice little beach. Just small enough to walk around, and it has a little bit of most of the things I like. It's central to a lot of other beaches and islands, has plenty of places to eat (nothing unusual there), and drink (woo-hoo!), the obligatory shops - we did our DVD shopping here this time, and found the selection at least as good as Pantip Plaza (our source last time). Word was the cops were cracking down on piracy in Bangkok and Pattaya, we got 40 movies in Ao Nang - no problems. Sold openly on the street, and NO WAITING. Pretty much everywhere selling DVD'd, CD's etc in Bangkok make you wait while a guy on a bike fetches your movies after you pay. In Ao Nang they were all there in the covers, and he had a DVD player to test them if you liked. Prices were similar to Bangkok. 120B with a bit of negotiating from memory.

Sensational scenery in and around Ao Nang as well. Clean beaches - you've all seen the postcards I'm sure. There was even a small bar scene if that's what you're into. Very cheap drinks (especially compared to places like Nanaplaza/Cowboy etc - 50B for standard beers).

No idea what BF's cost. Nor ST/LT fees.

Phuket was the next stop. To catch up with an old friend of the family. Karon beach (still one of the best beaches in Thailand in my opinion) for 5 days. Even though the place gets bigger every year, and more crowded this is one of my favourite places in the kingdom. Maybe it's because I know so many people there. Luckily we avoided the ex, although I hear she got wind of our presence somehow. Caught up with Da (my famous cook from before) and Joy (owner of the best little guesthouse in Phuket), always a delight.

Unfortunately I'd contracted tonsilitis in Krabi. Not an uncommon thing to happen, I'm told, even though I had never had it in my life before, but this prevented me from doing a few things... Nevermind. We left Phuket with our batteries fully charged.

Back to Bangkok - for the family visit - Prachinburi, 2 hours drive east of Bangkok- it was good, as usual. We found a taxi driver who would take up up in the morning, wait around all day, and drive us home to the hotel, for 2000B. Not bad IMO, considering the going rate for a one was trip is usually 1500. Similar to Pattaya distance wise.

The family was all smiles (as usual) greeting us at the door. These trips are always a pleasure - relaxing, eating well, afternoon snoozes, and a few beers. For some reason, Miss Red had grown accustomed to the airconditioning in the hotel, so we weren't to stay the night this time. Just go for the day.

One of our last missions in Bangkok was to get her tourist visa for Australia. Being a smart little cookie, I'd already done the necessary research via the embassy's website, and having done it all before we were pretty confident. All did go well, although they had changed the price for the visa. Up from 1850B to 2000. Only 150B you might say, but the problem was, they didn't accept cash, only cashiers' cheques. Ours was made out for 1850B. Panic! Nevermind, the good lady behind the window accepted 150B in cash and we were on our way. A subsequent peek at their website revealed they had deleted the thai baht fee, and replaced it with an Aussie dollar fee - although the cheque must be made out in Thai Baht. Confusing to say the least, especially as the dollar rises and falls occasionally. I feel sorry for the poor Thai English students who have to decipher the website and come up with a figure to pay.

Note for next time: Call ahead and ask. Guarantee they won't accept cash next attempt.

In order to celebrate, we headed out to the Cathouse bar at Nanaplaza. The famous 100B all you can drink Chang beer from 3 till 8pm. I'd never attempted this before, despite being a big chang drinker. (No, I don't like it, but I'm a tight arse - it's often bloody cheap - under 20B each at the 7/11). Considering it's pretty hard to find a beer for under 50B in the Plaza at the best of times, this is a fantastic deal.

Problem was, after 5 or 6 beers the special finished and I ordered a whisky and coke. Went to the loo, came back, tasted it, realised it tasted like shit and I'd probably had enough anyway. Check bin'ed and left. The rest of the night I have no recollection of. Strange, as I'm a bit of a heavy drinker and even when I've been absolutely shit faced, I've always been able to remember what I've been up to.

One theory, and a bit of background information. There was a guy drinking there when we arrived - he was obviously an expat, he was well dressed and spoke the local lingo fluently. There was a time when he mentioned he was broke, and could use a bit of extra cash - he'd obviously pay me back the next night. One of my philosophies in lending money goes something like this:

In mankind's history, whenever money has been lent or borrowed by a stranger in a bar, it has never ever been repayed. Never. Ever.

Because of this philosophy, or theory - I declined. As the night wore on, this guy became a real pain in the arse, abusive towards the staff, who in my mind were doing a fantastic job. Very Mai Sanuk.

Maybe he spiked my drink. Who knows?

Never one to learn, we returned a night or two later and had an absolutely fantastic time. Celebrating her successful visa application in true style. This time, I had just as much to drink, if not more - no problems.

I really must comment the owner and staff at the Cathouse on the fantastic job they continue to do. Their drinks are always good value, and on both occasions where we were drinking cheap chang beer, every single bottle was ice cold, even though the bar was chock full of people, who all seemed to be attempting top break the record. There must be one hell of a big, and/or powerful fridge hiding around there somewhere. Even when the special is not on, the atmosphere is fantastic, and it's a pleasure to drink there.

2 days later we were on a plane bound for Australia.

Red,

I've been trying to post this all day, but, as you are probably aware, it's somewhat difficult at the moment - the flat looks the business (thanks to Sileakhunt) but is not very functional. It just looks pretty; a bit like me reallly...

Anyway - top report. Appreciated. I have a friend (ex-pat retiree) that lives in Krabi so I have to go and see him (top man he is) so anything good from people I know is worth its weight in the yellow stuff.

Oh - by the way...you're going to hate this- I might be able to come and visit you and N400 on this 'Round the World' ticket. Don't worry, I won't get in the way. All my Aussie mates here though always slag off where they live (and they are from Melbourne!). It can't be that bad surely? If you are really unlucky then both me and STH will be there. Well, be fair - we haven't seen you for 12 months. We need to getr pissed (and I promise I won't have to have an ambulance this time).

..oh and statesman1954 sends his regards. He's looking well these days but the medical shite takes it out of him. Give my love to the Gyppo/Pikey; she knows I'm all bullshit and nothing to be scared of really. [suspect this should be a PM but, fuck, am I having grief or what with this 'puter. I'm using Opera for goodness' sake. ]

Looking forward to it, hopefully the shack will be done by the time you get down here. Miss Red's excited too, she knows I 'miss you too mut' too.

Krabi - Lovely. Nice and quiet (compared to BKK, Pattaya, Phuket, etc..). Great beaches - scenic. What I like.

Great news about the statesman, again the missus is delighted too.

Archived