Changing Baht to Bucks

Greetings-

I will be travelling on to Cambodia from LOS. Should I change baht to U.S. dollars while in Bangkok, or should I do so in Cambodia? Any difference?

Also, is it possible to change U.S. traveler's checks in Cambodia? Would I be better off hauling some cash in?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Drew

TC's are not a preferred mode of payment in Cambodia. Take cash along - either $$ or Bht, both will do. In many but not all of the hotels you can meanwhile pay by credit card. Therefore cash only needed for nocturnal activities + airport arrival n' departure tax of 20$ each

As already mentioned, traveller's cheques are not a preferred method of payment anyway in Cambodia but US$ cheques are the easiest to cash by far. I couldn't change £ sterling cheques in Phnom Penh at all, luckily I had backups of cash and a credit card. It might be possible to change other currency cheques but not easy. Most banks accepted only US TCs. You WILL be able to use US TCs without too much difficulty, but only at banks not anywhere else.

Cash advances on credit cards are available at nearly all banks in PP at a rate of 2 or 2.5%.

Archived