sleep meds

i have always used meds to sleep the whole way. i have used valium and restoril with less than rousing success. this is because they have long half/lives. long half/lives means that the drug is only half metabolized, and half of it is still in your system long after you have injested it. this means you arrive not well rested and feeling hung over. the best med i have used is halcion(available in bangkok). i usually have a drink or two in the airport and then take 2 2mg tabs. this should keep you asleep about 6-10 hours. when you wake up just pop another and go back to sleep. the drug wears of quickly and you arrive feeling refreshed. also halcion doesn't affect stage 4 rem sleep(the most restful stage). halcion has been known to cause some problems in the elderly,(confusion, hallucinations), and i recommend consulting your doctor or taking a dose a couple days before you get on plane, to see if you have an adverse reaction

Good idea to try out some a few days BEFORE your trip, like you say. That way, if you really zonk out, and wet yourself rather than waking to take your midnight slash, it will only be in full view of your ugly Western GF, rather than in front of 400 passengers in a sealed plane cabin.

crazy.gif" border="0

I use one 0.5mg Xanax. It's a prescription sleeping pill that knocks you out for 6-8 hours and leaves you feeling well rested with no hang over.

I have taken it on 3 trips returning from Thailand now and it works like a charm. I told the doctor that I fly to Thailand fairly regularly and he agreed with me that Xanax is a very good choice to help sleep and adjust to the jet lag.

Once my prescription for the generic brand ran out I bought the actual name brand Xanax over the counter in Thailand for about 1/3 the cost.

Highly recommend it!

I do okay with 5mg of diazepam. It's also a muscle relaxant and I don't seem to feel stiff after sleeping in the chair.

Not sure about 'economy class syndrome' blood clots though if you are sleeping for long periods in cramped conditions.

I fly business class but even so still not ideal.

Archived