KAL

It's not bad. They've improved over the years. They Korean government cracked down hard about a year ago and barred them from expanding their routes until they improved their safety standards.

They service is great if you like to drink during the flight. They're quite generous in that regard.

SM

quote:

Originally posted by BKLawyer:

Will be flying Korean Airlines to BKK in December. What are posters' experiences with this airline?

Thanks.

Hi, BKL

I will NEVER fly KAL again! I went in Nov '99 on KAL. First, the route sucks. You have 10-11 hours to Seoul (from LAX), then 2-3 hours layover in Seoul, then 8 hours to BKK. Comin back, add another couple of hours in NRT.

Second, they lost my reservation not once, but TWICE. Then, the second time, they said they could get us there but we couldn't get back home for 2-3 weeks after we were initially scheduled to return. My wife gave them holy hell until they relented. I'm glad I wasn't on the receiving end of THAT discussion.

Then, the capper. I almost didn't make it home. I had the staff at the Grand China Princess (who were extremely helpful, BTW) call KAL and confirm my departure. The flight was for 0130. KAL tried to convince them that this was 1:30pm. Then I had to get on the phone. They tried to convince me of the same. I finally was reduced to explaining 24-hour time to the numbskull KAL agent at the other end of the phone line.

However, the flight was the cheapest of the lot, the flight itself was pleasant, the stews were cute and very helpful, the food was reasonably good.

But, would I use them again? Fuhgetaboutit!

PhordPhan

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

I've used KAL twice so far. Both times it was a fairly pleasnt exericance, except for the long layovers in Seoul. From Hawaii, the layover was about 4 hrs. outbound and 7-8 hrs return. Although, on the return flight the airline put us up in a hotel and included a voucher for a meal free of charge. Didn't seem like they advertised this fact very much, luckly our travel agent clued us in. The flight from HNL is usually pretty empty and we got to spread out quite abit (we all got our own row), but the flight to BKK is usually pretty full. The food to me is pretty good, usually a western choice and Bi Bim Bhap (a rice w/ meat a vegi dish). The stews were young and cute, just don't ignore their instructions, they are pretty strict.

Don't know how the facilities are at the new airport in Inchon. At least the one at Seoul (Kimpo) had a pretty large duty free area, and a snack bar and lounge area. We usually buy a bottle of good booze pass the time that way.

Good luck and Hope you have a good trip

I too have flown KAL from Hawaii to LOS twice so far. The airline itself and the stewardesses were very nice. However, coming back the flight leaves Bangkok at something like 0130, I can't sleep on planes and then have an 8 hour layover waiting for me at Kimpo where I'm just miserable tired, then at last another 7-8 hour flight back home. Normally end up going 2 days with no sleep on the miserable return trip back (but

it was worth it of course). Did ask about hotels at Kimpo but was told they had nothing. Sometimes, like during the Holidays, KAL are the ONLY available flights

to get there. My last trip was thru Japan via United and Northwest and had much better

timing however I'd still fly KAL if I had to,

just wish they had better schedules.

Thanks everyone for their comments. It looks as though the layover is 3 hours on the way there, and 4 on the way back. Less than ideal, but better than the 8 hours I had to spend in Zurich in January!

I'm actually on TG from BKK to ICN; that flight leaves at 2350.

I had some concerns about KAL, but it seems like folks have had reasonably good experiences, the usual airline BS. Besides, I'll get the Delta mileage.

Thanks again.

Archived