BKK-MNL Open Jaw Ticket

LACutter

On the old board one of the posters explained in detail how to get/use an open jaw ticket to fly roundtrip from LA to BKK w/a stop in the Phillipines. If the original poster or anyone who saved that could post it again I would really appreciate it.

Basically, you get a ticket from LAX to MNL and have the return from BKK to LAX. You then buy a one-way ticket between MNL-BKK.

I have priced the one-ways and it is cheaper to go to BKK first and then buy the one-way from BKK to MNL.

The overall cheapest way is to buy a round trip from BKK to MNL and use the return part for your next trip. You would route the 2nd trip LAX-MNL and BKK-LAX. Be careful though, because some of those BKK-MNL tickets are only valid for a certain amount of time (90 days, etc.)

I have also priced the USA-ASIA "open jaw" tickets and as far as Northwest goes, it is very expensive to buy this type of ticket. This really only works when you are using mileage for a free ticket. Open-jaw tickets cost the same amount of mileage.

Hope this helps.

Careful with the advice of going to Manila first, without an ongoing flight ticket. I have been advised they enforce it there and will deport.

I've done the LAX-BKK, with my return MNL-LAX several times. Just got a one way in Bangkok to Manila when I was ready.

The Asian carriers allow it, but even that I would not feel as good now about as one person warned me of an increased check in LAX as technically, you are not allowed. Several responed to an equal inquriy I made a month or so ago saying no problems yet with the open jaw.(with arrival in Bangkok first)

The Asian carrier ticket brokers can usually get the one way on Thai in advance, I don't know if going to try it again on the open jaw. Going back to BAngkok for a few days was well worth the effort last couple trips.

good luck,

Nok

I suggested going to Bangkok first on the 1st trip and going to Manila first on the 2nd trip. You then buy a roundtrip BKK-MNL-BKK and use 1/2 of the ticket on each trip.

If you really want to go to Manila 1st I do suggest buying the ticket between MNL and BKK before you arrive in Manila. To get the best price on any ticket originating from Manila you must buy it from a travel agent in the Philippines. I have used Bridges Travel in Manila in the past with good results. See http://www.bridgestravel.com

• 2 weeks later...

LACutter:

I was pricing some open jaw tickets leaving the US on Nov. 10 and returning Nov. 25 and found something interesting.

Chicago to Manila on 11/10 and Bangkok to Chicago on 11/25 priced out at $1262 on Northwest Airlines.

Chicago to Bangkok on 11/10 and Manila to Chicago on 11/25 priced out at $2279 on Northwest Airlines.

Both of these fares were found at http://www.orbitz.com which is the new travel site owned by several of the large US airlines.

It appears that by going to Manila first there is no increase in price for an open-jaw ticket on Northwest.

To All:

I find orbiz is not very reliable. I looked

for a fare from Atlanta to BKK on Korean and

they could not find it or not give it to me.

I sent a complaint never heard from them. They seem to push the owners flights. Use each airline web site to find the best fares.

bigcat6969

Archived