Bangkok to Siem Riep to Ho Chi Minh City

I plan on going to Ho Chi Minh City from

Bangkok stopping off at Siem Riep on the way

is this possible? I tried the Thai International site. The best I could find

was BKK to PP to BKK to HCM.

"La ville de Siem Reap, à 6 km d’Angkor Vat, est à moins d’une heure d’avion de Bangkok (5 vols par jour par Bangkok Airways). De Phnom Penh, le vol est également d’une heure (2 vols par jour par Royal Air Cambodge), et un nouveau service de bateau rapide - et bon marché - permet de rejoindre Siem Rap en quatre heures."

Found this on http://www.courrierinternational.com/voyage/Articles/ASIE/kh02-280301.htm

Translated to english this says there are 5 flights/day Bangkok/Siem Rap by Bangkok Airways and 2 Royal Air Camboia flights Phnom Penh/Siem Rap/day. There is also a fast and cheap boat service from PP to SR

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

Thank you, that helps. Do you know if the boat runs all year round. Somehow I have the understanding that the lake is seasonal. It only exists when the Maekong reaches a certain level, then water flows to the lake

instead of flowing to the sea, at least some of it anyway. As I plan to do my trip in January I thought that this would be factor.

I will investigate the two airlines you have mentioned.

Dear Stumper,

Please use Google search engine with keywords "Siem Reap boat". You will find a wealth of information there.

At ttp://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/srtransp.htm

i noticed there are flights from/to Ho Chi Minh

Chok dee (Good luck)

Stumper,

The boats up and down the Tonle Sap run all year round, it's just that they use smaller boats with a shallower draft when the water level is lower. The river does indeed reverse it's flow sometime in October I think, very unusual but rest assured the route is still navigable all year round.

I just did Siem Reap last month. Some tips. Get to the boat early, say 45 mins before departure-goes at 7am if i remember correctly. Get on the roof-they will try and get you down below to fill up the cabin first but stand your ground and get on top.Why? The cabin is a deathtrap in the event of an overturn, and this boat goes fast. Secondly, the view is miles better. Also, get settled against all the backpacks so that you have somewhere to lean your back on. You will see what i mean when you get there. I didn't on the first leg and after 5 hours my back was giving me hell. The trip takes 4-6 hours depending on conditions and took 5 when i did it.

Hope this helps.

Archived