Buy air tickets in Bangkok

Duh! Along with London, New York and Athens this is a bucket shop centre.

Round-the-world tickets are US$1-2000 cheaper in Bangkok than buying them in the USA.

Curiously, return airfares between the USA and Thailand are consistently cheaper to buying the USA (originating from the USA also)

I've been doing this for several years now between BKK-Perth,Australia-BKK. Tickets about half the price of ones originating from Perth. The drawback is that the airline insists I have to have a full 60 day tourist visa before checkin for return from Aus, because when I return to LOS I haven't yet got my next onward ticket. If you have an onward ticket of course, you'll get 30 days on arrival visa, if that's all you want.

To/from Copenhagen it's sometimes cheaper to buy the ticket in Denmark and send down to GF.

Don't forget to ask for the ethnic discount with Thai. This we also can get if we travel at least one way with GF. laugh.gif" border="0

elef

Rob

To solve this particular problem, I usually buy one economy class ticket showing a departure out of the destination country, say BKK ( purchased from the big Q in Aus). I then buy a cheaper return ticket , and apply for a refund when I eventually get back home.

Hope this ticketing ploy works for you.

jamez

I used to hold a return ticket to Cambodia just for these occasions. If you don'twant to use it hand it in for refund, just before it expires, lose 500B and then get a new ticket.

• 3 weeks later...

Facts behind the having a work permit to buy ticket in BKK are that several of the carriers offer special low fares to those living in Thailand, including farangs. To get the cheap ticket you must prove you are a resident of Thailand and that is done by using the work permit as a test. No work permit or Thai identity card ...no cheap price. You have to do this to get the ticket issued so there is never going to be a problem at the airport unless, for some reason, you were picking up the ticket at the airport.

Archived