Debt/Bondage

The general consensus seems to be that the farang oriented sector of the flesh trade is largely free from the debt/bondage scenario where a girl is sold into prostitution and must work to pay off the debt. However, Stickman raised the point in his latest weekly column that it does go on.

A recent poster to the general discussion forum commented on the practice of long time bar fines when taking a BG away for extened periods. I had my own experience with this when I fell in love with a girl in Samui. The young buck who ran the bar asked for 10000 baht when she announced she would beliving with me. He said this was becausehe had fed her and housed her when she first came to Samui. Luckily for me I had well connected Thai friends who sorted it.... not that I had any intention to pay.

What I want to pose for discussion is does this scenario represent a kind of debt/bondage situation? In order to "free" the woman from the bar, one is coerced to pay. As such I think it borders on D/B and should be discouraged. Feel free to discuss.

Cheers

Jaga

Sometimes I stay in Thailand my GF go away in business. Then she finds a bar in Pattaya, where she knows the owner and I select I girl I like. I don’t pay bar fine (normally 200 in Pattaya).

The system of selling girls to massage places I’ve heard about, but never actually meeting a girl with that background. I’m told that poor farmers daughters are sold for 10,000 baht and they must work until they earned back double money – after that they are free and can work any place.

The bar girls I’ve met must be working 3 months without any money from the bar. After that they get money from drinks and sometimes also a small salary. A typical girl 21-22 years has a child 3-4 years old staying with her parents. The girls often come from north Thailand and they go and see the family every 3 months. Some of these girls even stayed in Europe, but found out that the dream prince was not what she expected. I never heard any of those been bought out from the bar.

IMHO this is not the same as debt/bondage for one important reason, the girl is free to leave the bar whenever she wishes. In debt/bondage situations, the girl is in effect owned by the brothel operator until she has repaid the agreed sum of money through her work, she cannot leave until then, and may be physically prevented from doing so.

The only one being ripped off in the situation you described with the 10000 baht fee is the farang, assuming he pays it. The girl has her liberty regardless of what the bar owner trys to extort from the customer.

Paying long term bar fines is a bit ridiculous. The gal can just quit. With the current shortage of dancers, she can always find another job quickly enough. Now if the girl has borrowed money from the bar, that's another matter. You may well be being asked to pay it back for her.

Archived