Am radio waves and radar?

Lusty

Would any tech heads know if radar waves would interfere with AM radio waves?I tend to listen to alot of AM stations on my car radio and have noticed some very bad interference when going past the airport AND certain speed check cameras which is why I'm interested as this would be a legal way(here in the UK anyway)of finding out which cameras are live.Thanx.

Hi Rusty,

It's extremely unlikely the speed cameras will cause a problem, there's a huge difference in frequency and the power level is only a few milliwatts. The power output of the airport radar on the other hand is huge but if it's causing a problem, I'd expect it to appear for a short time every few seconds as the scanner sweeps the car.

Are radar detectors illegal in the UK now. I seem to remember a court case a couple of years ago where the conclusion was that as the radar signal contain no 'information' it didn't fall under the Wireless Telegraphy Act so anyone was free to monitor the transmissions without a licence.

It's extremely unlikely the speed cameras will cause a problem, there's a huge difference in frequency and the power level is only a few milliwatts. The power output of the airport radar on the other hand is huge but if it's causing a problem, I'd expect it to appear for a short time every few seconds as the scanner sweeps the car.

This sounds about right.

I'm not sure of the law now but the case use to be that you could own one but not use it::

uk101 said:

<snip

Are radar detectors illegal in the UK now. I seem to remember a court case a couple of years ago where the conclusion was that as the radar signal contain no 'information' it didn't fall under the Wireless Telegraphy Act so anyone was free to monitor the transmissions without a licence.

Don't know about the UK, but in the US, a couple of years ago, there was a ruling (can't remember which state: Seems the police wanted to put radar emitters on the roadside to fool those with radar detectors. It was, I guess the FCC, that told them they couldn't for some legal technical reason, like not allowed to generate random signals or some such.

In Virginia, I believe ownership is legal, use is not. Cops have been known to ask to see (hold) the unit and then accidentally drop it to the ground, smashing it to bits. "Sorry about that, sir, but I can see you weren't using it anyway".

What I want to market (and own) is my own radar transmitter that will tell the police radar that I am going, maybe 783 miles per hour. Yeah, go ahead, give me THAT ticket.

Reminds me of the Maryland State Trooper who was going to give me a ticket for doing 69 on the Interstate, if I didn't blow a zero on the Breathalyzer. BTW, the ticket would have been marked down from 98.6 mph, which I cheerily informed him wasn't my speed, it was my body temperature. Hence the Breathalyzer test.

State Troopers have a less than zero sense of humor, apparently! :):beer:

Archived