Legal firms & their services

The marriage procedure is straight forward and can be done by your friend, no lawyer need be involved. One should go to the UK Embassy and ask them about getting married in Thailand, they will probably have a sheet of paper and that tells you what to do, it is very easy but involves a bit of leg work, for me for 40,000 baht, I'd do the leg work, Bill Gates would pay the 40,000 baht.

As far as the visa is concerned, if it is just a tourist visa, a local lawyer may be able to help. Most embassies have locals do the tourist visa work, and I can't believe that embassies would be any less corrupt than any other government agency, or business in Thailand, thus I would think if the local lawyer knew the right people, a bribe or gift or favour, may help to get the tourist visa. An Immigration Visa I believe would be processed in the home country and thus I doubt a local Thai Lawyer would be much help. Samuigeorge.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little late on this trail having been away for a few days -- i agree with those who say dont use Lawyers even though i am one myself -- the process is not difficult it is basically a question of proving that the relationship has a chance of success and that you can support the person you are sponsoring so you just have to compile all the right information and documentation - there would be no chance of getting a settlement visa after a 1 month relationship -- the authorities are looking for proper and sustained commitment from both sides of the relationship - not fairy tales

the following is the place to look for really good information on this subject and to be in a forum where you will be able to make contanct with the guys who can tell you about their success stories with visas but much more importantly their relationships instead of all the racist drivel that you hear on so many of these boards -- it never ceases to amaze me that farang try to forge relationships with prostitutes and then get all upset when they get ripped off -- they would not ever dream of trying to build a relationship with one in their own country anyway try this http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thailand_UK/database

• 3 weeks later...

i've no doubt a fair bit of greasing goes on at embassies. people and money are much the same all over. and no doubt there are thai lawyers with good connections but how to believe them. the sponsor should have no trouble doing it for her though. lots of paper and a variety of office to visit but all quite straightforward. takes about a week or so. a UK lawyer would be useless unless he had some pull at the embassy and i talked to one in the UK who claimed such but wasn't convinced. the real problem as i see it is the short duration of the relationship. one month won't cut it and he'll kiss the Visa fee (about 17,000 baht) goodbye. take and armfull of photos, cuddling together and lots of letters from professionals and the like, a minimum of 6 months since meeting the girl and there shouldn't be a problem. hardly surprising the British Embassy is difficult. over half a million Brits visit Thailand every year now. if only 10% of them want to take some pussy home that's a lot of apps. planning and patience.

Archived