US Immigrant Visa Processing Times

I just received the approval notice from the INS on a I130 I filed in bahalf of my spouse. I'm hoping to hear from some one about the the amount of time it takes from the approval notice to the visa issuance. Any body do this recently? Thanks!

Sid,

I think it depends on several things. The first is which Regional Service Center you filed your petition at - some are quicker than others at moving the completed file out the door.

Next is how long it will take your petition and associated documents to clear the Immigrant Visa Processing Center, where your file will go next. This center will review all of the associated forms and documentation that go with an immigration visa to make sure everything is in order before sending the file on to the embassy where your wife will apply for the visa itself. This is supposed to save time, since the amount of review that the embassy has to do is reduced, but in fact this center is a bottleneck.

The final factor is fast your finacee takes care of the visa paperwork. You and she can shorten this time by getting everything you need from the embassy in advance, get it all filled out, and have it ready to send back to the embassy as soon as they notify her that they are ready to recieve her application. The US embassy in Bangkok is as easy-going with fiancee and spousal visas as they are tough with tourist visas. This phase can be gotten through in a month if you have everything ready in advance.

Typical time frame for a spousal visa is said to be 12 months. Since you've already gotten your I-130 approved, subtract however long that took. Then take off another 1-2 months to account for the fact that the embassy in Bangkok moves more quickly than many other embassies. What you have left should give you a reasonable ballpark idea of how much time you still have to go.

Good luck, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Sid_Hateful:

I just received the approval notice from the INS on a I130 I filed in bahalf of my spouse. I'm hoping to hear from some one about the the amount of time it takes from the approval notice to the visa issuance. Any body do this recently? Thanks!

Archived