UK passports and long term visas

Just spoke to the Thai consulate in Hull http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/Tvisas.htm about their one year quadruple entry visa.

Each entry is 60 days, which can be extended for 30 days. Then you have to jump over the border. So in theory, you have 360 days (4*(60+30)).

They can turn it around in 2 days and it costs GBP 70.

Sorry if this is old hat but there is so much speculation out there these days.

It has been around for a while, but usually 3 and not 4 entries issued.

But with the current climate of Immigration, these may be available but liable to raise red flags. eg. just why is this person wanting to be 'on holiday' for 8 or more months.

And in your circumstance, would you not be better off with a multiple entry 'B' visa, until you set up your company and work permit. ?? Don't want any stories of board members being chased down for working illegal.

problem is that nobody knows what the rules are and when/how they should be implemented, lots of confusing directions.

and a visa in your passport can still be rejected at the point of immigration.

flyonzewall said:

problem is that nobody knows what the rules are and when/how they should be implemented, lots of confusing directions.

and a visa in your passport can still be rejected at the point of immigration.

Quite true, but if I were an Imm inspector, and decide to follow guidelines, as we are aware of, the multiple entry tourist visa, especially with pervious entries, would give me cause for further questioning. Whereas the multi entry 'B' visa is looked upon, IME, as a businessman and causes, at least for for me, no signs of additional enquiry.

in my visa run days i only went for single entry tourist visa. the question were asked always to the people who asked for the nonimm B's, why they were repeatadly going for that without being married, or ever asking for a workpermit.

during the yearly crackdown period they were then given stamps that this would be the last visa they would get, after which they had to change passports. with a tourist visa that never happened to me.

well, I have always gone on a 'B' visa as a foreign 'buyer'. Thus a 'B' visa is required, but a work permit is not. Indeed I still do some buying in SE Asia and maintain a company here in the west with an import/export licence. I have yet to be questioned in 20 years.

:: Must be my honest face. :rolleyes:

I just got my one year multi non-imm visa from UK consulate with no increase in paperwork (based on having a child to support in Thailand which needs birth cert and letter from Thai mother) or hassle. Someone else had to offer proof of income for same visa on basis he was going to marry Thai girl. Was told that someone else had been thrown out of Thailand after a year of doing 30 day tourist visa runs, so they may be toughening up in this area. Was told they knew of no future changes to non-imm rules.

As someone else said, it would be useful if we actually knew what the rules are! I will be taking the precaution of doing quarterly bank transfers from UK to Bangkok and keeping the receipts so that I can prove I am bringing 50k a month into the country, as it seems a strong possibility that repeated visa runners will come under scrutiny some time soon and will need proof of inward funds. It works out cheaper than ATM withdrawals anyway though there is a potential tax liability unless you say you are living off savings rather than rental income (but double taxation rules apply anyway).

Only a matter of time until goven integrates immigration, tax and police authorities.

Oh well, another year in fun city beckons.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived