lousy airplane scheds to Penang

gene1944

I am making a visa run to Penang. When I made a TG reservation found out that there direct flight scheds are late in the day (ie take off 730PM and land at 10PM, and return flight is takeoff 9AM or so and back in BKK at 1030Am. there are other flights that sop over in Phuket for 3-4 hours that are not too appealing.

In order to make a visa run you have to spend 4 nites in Penang to get a visa. First nite- flight nite, day 2 visa apply before noon, day 3 pick up visa hopefully, day 4 leave on morning flight. damn inconvenient!

Originally posted by db_sez_aloha:

[QB]Uh, Gene, by my count that's only 3 nights in Georgetown.

Right you are, I was thinking 4 days, not 4 nights. Still too long I think...

And you may already know this, but the Thai Consulate in Georgetown closes for both Thai and Malaysian holidays.

is there a list of the holidays in Malaysia on the web?? I go there next week and I hope it is not independence day or something there ......

If you haven't picked a hotel yet, I can recommend the Gurney Hotel.

I am staying at the Grand Continental which the travel agent recommended. WIsh I had asked on the board first. Thanks.

I quite enjoy visiting Penang. Try the Kashmir for a good English style Indian feed. The Soho is an English style pub with good menu, popular with middle class Chinese. Polar Cafe is a good expat hangout. There is also another bar popular with expats, near Lebuh Chulia, though I forget the name. Also in the roughly same area is a blow job bar, which used to have Thai staff. There is action to be had, ask a rickshaw wallah.

Archived