Fake watches

yfs

Obviously the watches for sale along the sidewalks are fake, but has anyone here ever bought one? I"m curious to know if they last (operate) longer than a week/month/year. In the states, one can buy a decent quartz time piece that will last for as long as one puts batteries in it for as little as 5 bucks (but they don't look so good).

Guest lazyphil

I bought a fake 'Polo' watch in Jan this year at Chatchuchak market for 400 baht and it still works and keeps perfect time. It will stop now I posted this praise :(

Reliability is not a problem. I prefer the self winding type which seems to recover from long periods of disuse sitting in a drawer without problem. The actual mechanisms (I have heard) are pretty good.

The problem with all these watches is the exterior finishing which tends to rub off after fairly short periods of time. Particularly on the side that contacts your wrist but ultimately on the exposed side as well. They begin to look tacky. But for the price, a temporary throw-away watch like this isn't a bad bargain.

Some of the rolexes can be made to look as good as the real thing - but then some are just cheap crap. As for a real rolex, check it very carefully - Thailand produces rolexes that look real and have fooled some in the business.

I bring back fake watches to Canada every year to give away to freinds. They seem to have two different qualities in the markets. The more expensive knock offs look good and last a long time including the finish. They can be bought for about 1500 baht in Patpong or Nana. They have good Tag knock offs that even have the weight of a real one.

bought plenty of these 200/250 baht watches.

when the battery days are over the battery is more expensive to replace than the whole watch....getting a new strap for the watch in LOS can be more expensive than the thing itself, just happened last month here.

Needed a replacement battery some years ago in farangland and the shop owner refused to open my Cartier watch....go to a Cartier shop he told me....

yfsman said:

Obviously the watches for sale along the sidewalks are fake, but has anyone here ever bought one? I"m curious to know if they last (operate) longer than a week/month/year. In the states, one can buy a decent quartz time piece that will last for as long as one puts batteries in it for as little as 5 bucks (but they don't look so good).

I've purchased probably 4 or 5 cheap watches from these street vendors over the years. Never had any last more than a few months at best. Best one I purchased was a fake Brietling watch, the watch still works but the band fell apart.

Great for a novelty/gag gift, that's about it.

-=/NN

Hi nn,

I bought a fake tag soon after ariving here and it was a complete waste of money. It did not look good if looked at closely and within three months the metal was going black and pitted. Then it started to run slow so I dumped it. Maybe there are better quality fakes available - this was bought from a stall on the corner of suk/soi 11.

Khwai

Archived