Combodia Visa...

vinod

Last time I went to Cambo about 18 months ago, you could get a visa in the PP airport. $20 and 2 photos. Good for 30 days.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: MikeHunt ]

They have , or did have, visa forms for Cambodia in the departure lounge at Bkk. You need a photo and a $20 note. No need to worry about stories of the staff at PP trying to make you get a business visa for the extra $10, or $5 extra for 'express service'. I found the staff to be pleasant-peter

quote:

Originally posted by vinod:

Hi

I'm planning to to Phnom Penh from Bkk for a 2 days trip. I would like to know if we need to apply for a visa before we go or can we get a tourist visa at the Phnom Penh airport like what we get at Bkk.

Thanks

I went to PP twice last year and did not have the photos. My friend had been before and said to play dumb. Easy enough. The guy asked and I said "Sorry, I didn't know". "OK you remember next time". Acted like it was no big deal. Went back a few weeks later and same thing. I think they are more concerned with your $20.

All of the air carriers will give you the appropriate forms. You will need three forms. Visa application, immigration arrival/deprture card and customs form. You will need one photo and $20. They will have change for $100 which is good because the US dollar is the currency in Cambodia. the Poster above was correct. If you don't have a photo you get a warining unless you are from and Asean country in which case they get you for about 200 Baht.

Fill out your forms on the plane .

When you exit the plane, run don't walk to the arrivals lounge and, as soon as you enter the door, make a hard right and give the Visa Application and Photo to the guys waiting there. They're very helpful if you are confused. the reason you want to hurry is because the passports are handed through about 7 clerks, each of whom makes a manual entry in a ledger. After a while the stacks get a little thick and the first ones in get out about 15 minutes ahead of the last ones.

The guys are pretty friendly, but if you try to hurry them your passport goes back to the bottom of the stack.

After you have given them the photo and application go to the far end of the counter and wait for one of the last two guys to hold up your passport with the photo showing. Just a note the Cambodia visa take up one whole page and they won't admit you if you don't have one whole page available with a visa heading. Give them the $20 and move on to the immigration desk. Your visa will be for 30 days. Longer visa should be applied for outside the country although extensions are available in Phnom Penh.

Keep the entry portion that they put in your passport as you will need that to leave.

After immigration there is a single luggage conveyer for checked luggage on your left. There is usually nobody at customs so just set your customs declaration on the table with the others as you exit.

Taxis are available outside for $8 to anywhere in Phnom Penh and usually you can then broker a deal with the driver for $25 per day if you need a driver who can show you around whatever it is you think you want to see and also make suggestions. There are not too many taxis in Phnom Penh but a hell of a lot of motorcycle taxis.

Phnom Penh is funky. I like it.

Archived