Do you read the travel advisories ?

gobbledonk

Hi IB,

Post Al Qaeda and Saddam, the Indonesian government seems to have become the West's whipping boy over its apparent inability to control extremist clerics (Malaysia also comes in for the occasional tongue lashing). I dont want to turn this into a political debate, but that's my perception.

My time in Jakarta led me to believe that the *average* Indonesian couldnt give a hoot about politics, but its easy to see from their history that they dont enjoy being told what to do by the West. Personally, I dont blame them on that score.

Mentors said:
lazyphil said:

I dont think Nanaplaza would get hit, Khao San more likely

Sorry to say, but Nanaplaza is still hit by the browns and Mr. Purachai :censored: ::

-for serious; i think the coming Olympic Games in Greece and the European

Soccer Championship in Portugal will be much more dangerous places while the tournaments as SEA.

- there are warnings about not going to South Thailand. But, this is not correct. The South starting about on Prachuab and goes till Betong, these are hunderds of kilometers between.

So it's wrong to say, don't travel to the south. If so, while the Yugoslavia War, nobody would said dont travel to Austria or Greece. These, countries are

also just some hundreds kilometer from the scene away.

Cmon Mentors - the average tourist would barely be aware of the geographic layout of Thailand. Most of them probably arent even aware that Phuket is in the 'South'. The advisories are broad, and its an attempt to cover various butts in the event of an attack anywhere in a given region.

Archived