Advice Please

sinsin2

I come and go regularly to LOS,staying for periods of 10 days

To three-months.On average I am there 7/8/9 months a year.

I only ever have a 30/60-day Tourist Visa.

I have a Thai child.

I want to get a one year visa,because maybe in the future,

I will want Thai residency.

I have several ways to go.

Dependants Visa.(not married)

Business Visa (front trading co. for me) no assets 100,000b,

All money/transactions controlled by me from Europe.

No problem with letter of invitation.

Turnover of company is kept very low,if I look for Work Permit

I get deeper into Thai tax/bureaucracy which I do not want.

Finally I have a project with BOI backing, but I do not want to invest

2/3 million baht in the current political/economic climate.

My question is what is the best way to go.

If I use the company option and have to stop after 1/2 years,

Might I have problems changing to the dependent visa and maybe

Later to the BOI backed one.(or any permutation of these)

Any suggestions/observations

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: sinsin ]

How old are you? Over 55? I jusr saw that on the net (The Nation article):

One-year stay for foreign retirees

In a bid to increase tourism revenue, one-year visas will be granted to foreign retirees. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) announced yesterday that the government has approved its plan to promote the country as a long-stay destination for senior citizens, a move aimed at generating more than Bt100 million in revenue.

The TAT's long-stay tourism project is designed to attract foreign retirees from countries such as the United States, Japan, Germany, the United Kingdom and Scandinavia, the TAT said.

"It is estimated that the project will attract about 200,000 senior citizens, aged 55-plus, who could potentially stay up to 10 months and spend more than Bt50,000 per person per month. This will generate an additional Bt100 million for the economy," the TAT said.

TAT chairman Somsak Thepsutin said: "The project will help create more jobs for Thai people and also help the housing and real estate businesses, which have been strongly affected by the economic crisis."

Basic tourism facilities, including restaurants and medical facilities, especially in provincial areas, will be developed to meet international standards.

Government agencies would work to ensure safety and security for long-term visitors while a one-stop service centre will be established to help the visitors complete the necessary paperwork.

The TAT said that last year international visitors totalled 9.5 million, up 10.8 per cent over 1999. Of the total, the number of visitors aged 55 to 64 years grew by 5.8 per cent to 86,800. Visitors aged 65 and over showed a 17.74-per-cent increase.

The government is organising a tourism workshop on Koh Samui to draft measures to promote the tourism industry to the degree where it can generate Bt50 billion this year.

The government plans to hold similar workshops later in Pattaya, Phuket and Hat Yai.

The Nation, Agence France-Presse

Source: The Nation

Archived