Retirement Visa

Can someone with a retirement visa, please comment on how they obtained it, including retirement money, retirement letter, medical exam, what your schedule is in living in Thailand, annual extension, attorney assisted etc.

I applied for a retirement visa but was turned down. I'm 55 and had enough money and don't have a job which is like being retired. The LA Embassy said I lacked the retirement money, retirement letter, medical exam.

Haven't lost my newbie virginity,

BB

Next, you could try in LOS, by setting up a bank account and hiring a lawyer who could guide you thru the intricacies of not having the proper papers while being able to afford retirement. You may have to be patient as you evidently seem to miss some of the documents needed. this year, it's definitely a new ball game. a friend just lost his yearly retirement visa, though he had the proper documents when he applied last year and obtained it. I forgot the grounds of his dismissal, but i will ask him and report to you.

quote:

Originally posted by BigBird2001:

Can someone with a retirement visa, please comment on how they obtained it, including retirement money, retirement letter, medical exam, what your schedule is in living in Thailand, annual extension, attorney assisted etc.

BB

Big Bird, oil these rusty wings for departure hopefully!

I reproduce to you the e-mail my friend sent me from Pattaya and hope it may help:

<I retired a year ago and came in on a 3 month Type "O" ("other") non-immigrant visa I got in the Boston Thai consulate (you cannot enter Thailand with a tourist visa and turn it into a retirement visa without leaving Thailand again). Then I applied for a one year retirement visa here in Pattaya through a Thai lawyer; this requires either (1) 800,000 baht in a Thai bank -or- (2) a provable monthly income of at least 65,000 baht and 65,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank.

Naturally, option (1)is beyond my means, but I easily met the requirements for (2). So after the usual bureaucratic dance I got the visa OK.

The one scare I had THIS year was that the rules had changed --rumors on the internet-- and that now you had to have the 800,000 in a Thai bank. This has proved to be false, at least as far as the Pattaya Immigration people are concerned. As you may know, each local office can do just about anything it wants, but at this time it seems the local office is still happy with the 65,000.

So currently I await the full approval from Bangkok of my Retirement Visa renewed for another year, but it seems a sure thing. The Pattaya office approved all my credentials last week.>

Do you know if Age has any bearing on getting the VISA? I'll be 39 when I retire smile.gif" border="0 Over 200,000 baht(US $50,000) in the bank but only about $1200 per month in retirement pay. I can't wait to get to the LOS.

$50,000 is 2,200,000 Baht which provides retirement at $208(9,000 Baht)/month for a 5% draw on your principle. I think a Thai could live on this but I couldn't.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say but my retirement pay is U.S $1200 a month. I agree with you, I can't live on less than $1000 a month....even in the LOS.

Ajan,

what is your medical insurance? does it cover being treated in LOS and what if you are a little older and need on-going supervising and treatment? Not in sight, for now, but what if the baht goes down to 25 to $, sometimes in the next 20 years? You may not have told us everything, but it seems that 1200 does not leave much space to manoeuver in case of hardship. remember that when you live in LOS,it's not just vacation anymore. the thais have a better grip on you. (just an ex: a friend was presented with a 6000 baht water bill,one month. turned out the tank was leaking and as a farang, he could argue all he want, but had to pay. not the end: a few weeks later, he found out the landlord's son did "engineer" the leak, but could not prove it. In short: (sh)TIT happens......

Well...as for Medical, I am in the U.S. AirForce so after 20 years of service I can get medical treatment at any US/VA hospital. I can receive treatment in Thailand for almost free in JUSMAG or something to that effect. I have to watch the video the military gave me about living in Thailand again. Also lucky for me, I am Thai by birth. I was adopted and move to the U.S at an early age. I'm fluent in Thai so it'll be "harder" to rip me off.The only bad thing is that I haven't been to Thailand in over 20 years.

Question? If U.S $1200 a month is not enough to live on, how can so many Farang make it on a teacher's salary of $400-$600 a month? Or are they drawing pension/retirement of some sort?

Dang......long reply...sorry.

Archived