Hyatt website rip off - again !

torrenova

I've just noticed that the Hyatt website is back to its old rip off tricks, despite claiming to have the cheapest prices for any of its rooms.

Take the following scenario:

You need a room for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. You get a quote for USD 120 per day plus taxes. Then you ask for a quote for Friday or Saturday and you get an offer of USD 100. They are quoting you the higher weeday room rate for all 3 days.

I had a right go at them about this over the Part Hyatt in Tokyo and they said they'd fixed it. Obviously not.

Also, watch the Marriott site. They sometimes say that the room rate will change during the stay but if you enquire on the site through a different route, they do not say this. I think the Marriott one is a technical glitch (maybe) but the Hyatt is a rip off.

Interesting torrenova....

I had the exact opposite experience in the Hyatt Hua Hin. Booked through their website for Thursday and Friday at the very reasonable rate of 3260++ a night. Told them I'd probably stay Saturday too but would confirm later.

"No problem, sir."

Confirm on midday Friday and was told room full, shove off.

"But, but... I'm a Gold Card member." (for at least two days!)

OK, reception is all apologetic and promises to 'try find me room'. Saturday morning: "Haaalllooo, have room, but you have to move and the charge will be 4800++ a night."

"No thanks, prepare bill please."

And from there it was up to the Hilton, to the Sofitel and finally I stumbled on the gardner's shed at the Marriott. :down:

Soooooo, since when have weekends been cheaper at 5* hotels? And in Tokyo??

Ok Mr Japan !!!

Not quite the same as I stated but here's another Hyatt screw up.

Try to book in Tokyo for Sat 19 June

Park Hyatt JPY 52800

Century Hyatt JPY 25400

Grand Hyatt Not available

Try to book for 17th June to 19th June inclusive

Park Hyatt JPY 144900 (JPY 43000 per day)

Century Hyatt JPY 64200 (JPY 21400 per day)

Grand Hyatt JPY 129000 (JPY 43000 per day)

In this instance, you get availability at the Grand Hyatt which wasn't there before and you get both the Century and Park Hyatts at cheaper rates.

Whilst not proving my original point, it does go to show that it is sometimes worth checking the price of each day and say if staying for a few days, perhaps book 2+2 etc. (I have done this at the Park Hyatt and the one in Roppongi Hills).

Soooooo, since when have weekends been cheaper at 5* hotels? And in Tokyo??
OK smart arse, normally 5* hotels are cheaper on the weekends as business travellers go home. But as you and I well know (ha ha) the Japanese (even groups of girls) have a tendency to stay in 5* hotels, particularly the Park Hyatt. Satisfied now ?

Thank you for that clarification sir.

Just goes to prove that the majority of the time, you're best off booking through an agent.

As for the 2 plus 2 night trick, reminds me of a story of Craig 'Popeye' Parry, the Aussie golfer. Millionaire many times over but is notorious among his mates for checking out of his hotel and ... checking back in 10 minutes later to save $15!!

>Park Hyatt JPY 144900 (JPY 43000 per day)

Century Hyatt JPY 64200 (JPY 21400 per day)

Grand Hyatt JPY 129000 (JPY 43000 per day)

I can see 2 of 3 hotels from my window, they are 5-10mins walk from my office. We have corporate contract with Century Hyatt.

Just checked with the secretary, corporate room rates are 16500Y. For large rooms (60sqm) - 24000Y.

One of my colleagues has been living there for three years, he got it at 400K Y per month. And enough "frequent guest" points not to pay for a hotel again in his life.

No reason to stay at the extravaganza Park Hyatt, IMO. Unless you go to opera every day and night.

think_too_mut said:

No reason to stay at the extravaganza Park Hyatt, IMO.

Depends who's paying! Even out of your own wallet, it's a nice treat.

You joining us tonight?

>Depends who's paying! Even out of your own wallet, it's a nice treat.

It must be...I just thought torrenova could be paying on his own...in another thread Majectic Suites at 30 something $ are discussed...uncomparable with Park Hyatt.

Tonite, yes, will revisit your earlier PMs and PM you if I need more instructions.

As it looks now, I should be able to make it tonite.

Archived