Thais and old stuff

Zaad

Hi,

I thought this subject was discussed recently but couldn't find anything so here it goes (again)...

I moved back to Bangkok recently and I couldn't believe what kind of old shit I encountered. I usually take this kind of opportunity to throw away old clothes, books, furniture, you name it and bring the not-so-old junk with me :)

Well, my girl and few other Thais seem to have GREAT difficulties with throwing stuff away. OLD USELESS STUFF! Think about clothes that are out of fashion or too small etc. Or cartoon books, you know, those (Japanese) black and white cartoons that are so popular among teenagers. Probably more than 1000 (yes that many) lying here which I'd L-O-V-E to put into flames outside in the garden. Old furniture (tables, desks, chairs...) that belonged to grandma, grandpa and that kind of nonsense.

Memories seems to be the key factor here. But I keep saying I don't need memories, I need space :banghead: I love space around me, can't cope with old shit that's not going to be used in the near decades. I've managed to *help* her throwing the absolute junk away, but there's unfortunately plenty left awaiting for a one-way ticket.

No matter how organized it's put away, it's still bothering me to see valuable space packed with junk. Such a waste.

Isn't space beautiful? :)

Anyway...experiences?

Solutions?

P.S. Just had a closer look at the amount of those little cartoon books ...I'd say close to 5.000

Too late, you should have put all that stuff in one box ( or 3 ) and marked with some special symbol to say it was important ( or at least thats what you tell her :devil: ) and on arrival, oops, "dear, you know those very important boxes, well....... :angel: "

Hi Zaad,

I am a bit of a keeper myself, one never knows when that particular item may come in handy. And I have the memory of an elephant when it comes to remembering what stuff I have lying around in the cellar.

I never forgot the day when I realized that my parents had thrown away my fish tank, when we moved from one state to another, just because all the glass was broken ::

And noone touches my Garfield comic books :) I don`t care how old they are and what state they are in.

My thai wife however, is just the opposite.

Just the other day she threw away almost 10 pairs of - in my eyes - perfect looking shoes. To my question as to why she disposed of them, she replied: I am bored with them. :banghead:

The only thing she would never throw away - beside from her cell phone :o - is her mother`s tooth that she carries in her wallet and the few photos from her childhood.

A couple of years back we had a fire at our place. All my recorded videos of our trips, the kids, family and stuff went up in flames.

Made me realize that the only thing I really cherish and would hate to lose is my photographs and those videos.

By the way, it can pay off to keep old junk, my insurance company had to reimburse me for all that old stuff that went up into flames :)

But I would sure hate to see my old junk lying around where I could see it. I stuff it all in the cellar for safe keeping.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Ultras,

There are still a few boxes lying around with some junk. Not too late, good idea!

HN,

I wish we had an attic for this stuff, but no, it's under the stairs, under desks, in several corners, in the garden, corridor etc..

The amount seems to be decreasing though, somehow..little by little hehe :)

Archived