Minor rant: American visas

Like just about everyone else I have been following the news in the aftermath of the WTC.

Interesting that terrorists and their accomplices apparently have been able to enter the US on legal visas as "tourists" and "doctors" and "students" while we as Americans have a fucker of a time getting in our friends/girlfriends/whatever for a 2 week visit.

I mean, how many Thais ever joined a terrorist cel in the US?

As Kelly Bundy once said, "something's rotten in the state of Denver."

"while we as Americans have a fucker of a time getting in our friends/girlfriends/whatever for a 2 week visit."

It's not that simple. My wife is Thai and here in Colorado we know of countless number of Thais who have entered on Tourist/Student visas and never return to LOS. Eventually they make themselves legal through marriage, but the US Embassy in Bkk does not care about that. They want to see how many Thais actually return to LOS before the visa expires. Every Thai that ends up staying in the USA just makes it more difficult for other Thais to get visas.

BTW, the latest scam is to overstay the tourist visa, then go to Singapore where for $600 USD you can get a stamp showing that you entered Singapore before your visa had expired.

Yes, I agree most embassies in BKK really give the thais a hard time. But in the past the Thais earned a reputation that made the policies that we have today.. Luckily the policies are slowly relaxing.

I was out with a few friends of mine who work at the US embassy. I guess the US embassy has asked the government to shut down wireless road FOREVER, to protect the embassy. I thought this was a pretty bold statement since this is a major north-south street with many important businesses on it. But the US embassy did it in Yangoon and they think they can do it here.

Archived