Thai satire sparks police probe

chuckwoww

Thai satire sparks police probe, BBC 10June04

The prime minister said he did not ask police to investigate.

The makers of a Thai film that makes fun of the country's prime minister have been questioned by police.

Jaroon Watthanasin, producer of Yodchai Nai Oakark (Oakark - The Great Guy), said a police colonel visited the Bangkok set on Wednesday.

He said the colonel was afraid the film would discredit Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra but left satisfied after asking about the script and financing.

The police said it was "a fact-finding visit" and they did not order changes.

The film's chief protagonist is a character called Oakark, a play on the nickname of the prime minister's son, Oak.

If they make too much fun of me, the country may look funny too

There was controversy in the country after the role was given to a comedian, Sayan, with Down's Syndrome.

But the film-makers have said they will now have to find another actor to play the part, according to the Nation newspaper.

The movie also includes a character called Raksin, who has a physical similarity to the prime minister.

"The police wanted to know whether someone with a malicious intention to discredit the prime minister is behind the project," Mr Jaroon told The Nation.

"I knew it was their duty, for national security's sake, so I complied."

Mr Thaksin, who was recently linked with a bid for Liverpool Football Club, said he had not asked police to investigate.

He said: "My duty is to serve the people of this country. If they make too much fun of me, the country may look funny too. Just use your own judgement."

" My duty is to serve the people of this country"

Thaksin Shinawatra

"run away from people who say they want to help you"

Cioran

Is this writer any famous in Thailand?

Archived